running

Friday, April 04, 2008

13.1 Miles in San Diego

No, I didn't run a half marathon, but over the course of two days I did run 13.1 glorious miles in the early California morning.

Because my trip was a short one it was pretty easy for me to maintain East coast hours. Wednesday night I was asleep before 9:30 PM and It felt likeI was sleeping in when the alarm went off at 5:15 AM. I was out the door at 5:45 AM and headed toward the harbor.


Disclaimer: I totally snagged this picture from www.shelterislandsailing.com

When I was out in December, I finally found the harbor and if I remembered correctly, I thought it was somewhere between 6 1/2 and 7 miles.

I thought I knew the way, but I missed a turn. When I got to the next block I knew I needed to backtrack. I made my turn and then it started to look familiar. I ran through a little industrial area that is a one way street and before I knew it, I was two turns away from being at the harbor.

It's so pretty and peaceful there. I'm surprised by how few people are out, there were a handful of other runners, and a lot of homeless people still sleeping - (A friend calls it bums.com) I ran past the Star of India and past the U.S.S. Midway. The path continues along or you can, as I did, breakaway to the city.

I ran up a block and took a left. This street goes straight through the edge of downtown and through Little Italy. It then turns into another one way street. I take a right on Washington Street and then a left to head to Old Town.

Yesterday my iPod told me 6.57 miles in 1:02:25.

I ran the same route today - although there was no need to backtrack because I knew where I was. My iPod reported 6.56 miles in 1:04:17.

There is a possibility I was a bit slower today. Although I did have to wait at a significantly more stoplights this morning.

It was wonderful to get out there and get a great start on the day.

One of the things I love about coming to San Diego is my morning run. That and looks of astonishment when my co-workers find out that I have been up so early and run what they consider a ridiculous distance.

My employer will require me to make at least seven more trips to San Diego this year. (No complaining from me about that!)

I am looking forward to more harbor runs!

14 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger David said...

That's definitely a run to enjoy many times over.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Bev said...

Lucky girl. I wish I could join you.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger IrishBlue said...

Sounds like a great trip for you Maddy. What an awesome place to run. Changing up your location helps you stay motivated, don't you think.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Wow, Maddy! How cool!

One morning this week when heading out to the gym, I did something a little differently. Usually I get in my car and then open the garage door. Well on this particuar day, I opened the garage door first, probably because I had to dump some trash first. While standing at the trash can I took a second and noticed the morning out there. I had a rush of early morning memories! The air was so still and the darkness was so pleasant. I remembered all of the early mornings that I was able to get out there and do what I love. It was a great feeling! Look out running, here I come.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger runninggeezer262 said...

Good for you to get up and out for the run. Been to California, but never San Diego. If "Little Italy" is like the section in Boston, you would have lost me in a bakery. Safe travels!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Jade Lady said...

What a wonderful place to have to go for business! And, good for you for waking up and getting started with a run in the morning! San Diego is one of my favorite places.

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger akshaye said...

Awesome.. one of my fav places in the world. You could do some serious hill reps there too!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger IrishBlue said...

Off topic - your comment on Susan's blog about Shaun of the Dead being one of your favorite movies - it's my kids all time favorite. We even own it!! Too funny.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Marcy said...

Ahhhhhh sounds so nice ;D ;D

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Runner's Anonymous said...

My uncle, aka runninggeezer262, told me about your blog. Very nice!

I know what you mean about waking up early on the west coast. I have relatives in the San Francisco area and on my last visit I was waking up at 6 AM feeling totally rested. Never been to San Diego. Everyone I know that's been there has liked it.

Best of luck towards your 1000 mile goal!

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

THat looks gorgeous out there - what a wonderful way to start your day. And don't you find it's the best way to explore somewhere new? THough I guess SD won't be very new to you by the end of this year - glad you're enjoying the travel though!

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

What a great way to enjoy and explore a new place.

You constantly motivate me!

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

I love visiting San Diego! Great place to run, bike, and do things outdoors. It's changed so much since I used to live there but is still a great place to visit -- I'm envious of you!!!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

San Diego is such a great city - it's beachy but city-ish too. Glad you were able to carve out some running time. It's always hard when your on work trips. Good job, good job!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home