running

Friday, February 09, 2007

On the Mend

I called the chiropractor yesterday and left a message. I called back a few times. No messages, it's just that sometimes I don't awlays get a return call. Yeah - I felt like was stalking her, but I really hurt.

This morning I called at 8:00 AM. The office manager called me back at 8:30. She said they were booked. The next appointment was Wednesday at 7:30 AM. I told her I couldn't wait and I would need to figure something out, because I couldn't go through the weekend. I could hear the phone ringing in the background and we said our good-byes.

Truth be told, I was thinking that the days until the Sarasota Half Marathon are few and I so need to be running.

Two minutes later the phone rang again. The 10:45 cancelled. Did I want the appointment. I was still in the car, unsure of what I had on my calendar, but it wouldn't have mattered. I was taking it!

It took a few tries, but the hip cracked. The doctor said she thought that she was going to have to jump on it from across the room - It was all jammed in there. Good God - the relief when it popped! Wow! She couldn't say for sure if it was from running or not. I think it may have been caused by the boots I wore on Tuesday. I'm going to throw them away.


(check out the random guy in the background)

The doctor asked if I was running Gasparilla. I told her I was out. I decided against it so I could spend some time working on Sarasota. She asked what my long run plan was for this weekend. I told her I was thinking between 12 and 15. She told me I needed to take it easy. I could run, but 12 -15 is probably not a good idea. Then add some ice, and Epsom Salt Bath and I am good to go...

I will reel myself in this weekend - it's still a little sore - take the bath, stay still long enough for the ice and I will run. Not as far as I want to go, but that's okay too.

4 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger David said...

If you have a pool you would do well to stand in it up to your high thighs after you run and keep inflammation down. The hip sounds like the source of your problem though. Check the latest Runner's World for a whole bunch of hip strengthening exercises.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Sounds like you got the big problem fixed. Take it easy - hope you have a nice long run this weekend!

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger David said...

Outback 12K is same weekend as Georgia Marathon. I can do doubles but that would be a bit much.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Thank heavens you were able to get into the chiropractor! I could feel the sensation of relief with you.

I look forward to hearing about how your longrun went - and felt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home