running

Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Five Mile Headgame

A five mile run works really well into my Monday through Friday daily routine. I can get it done during my lunch break and have enough time for a quick shower. - Thank goodness I work from home, because no one really knows that I either have my hair in a towel or have a wet head for an hour or so. - We'll keep that our little secret.

And while I'm not currently expereincing any mojo problems, when the lack of mojo does present itself, I can almost always (but not every time) work my way through it.

It goes something like this...

I really should run today.

Sigh...

I change my clothes and get some water.

I get started and before I know it, I have a mile under my belt.

Ugh, still not feeling it.

Mile two is done. Come on Maddy, another half mile and you can stop if you want to.

Okay, now your half way done. Do you really want to quit now?

No, I can go to three miles. I can at least round it out to the next mile.

Two miles to go now. I'm starting to feel this thing.

Whoa, four miles completed. There's only one more to go.

One more mile? That's not far. I can do that.

And before you know it, I've completed five miles and off to the shower I go.

It always makes me feel better when I run and it just that easy (or difficult, depending on the day) to get my miles in.

8 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger Tim Wilson said...

Funny you say this, it always takes me a couple miles to start getting into it. I always tell everyone the first two are the worst. If I can get past the first two, the mental game is usually gone... then the body starts to be the problem :)

Way to go!

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger peter said...

Nice post. 5 miles is good to get in. It always helps to have good stuff to see along the route. At noon my five mile route takes me to the Capitol, past the Washington Monument, the WW2 Memorial, by the "I Have A Dream" venue (appropriate for today, MLK day), turnaround at the Lincoln and back. If I want to mix it up a little I can pass by the Korean War Memorial Patrol and WWI Memorial or past the Vietnam Wall and the White House. Good thing my building has showers.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

I have much more difficulties getting out for a short run (esp. the short recovery type of runs) than I do a longer one. Thanks for the ideas to get me going!

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

Thanks, Maddy.

I have gone back to my pre-run oatmeal and I am already doing better.

Most of my runs recently have gone like you described. But, I have a feeling that is changing.

I'm even looking for a training program for a marathon. That could be the inspiration that I need!

What would you suggest? Now for a flat marathon course?

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I am impressed, my friend!

Oh to be able to run... it hasn't been very long and oh I do miss it...

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

I share the same secret you do. I work from home on Tues/Thurs. I usually run, shower, check email with head in towel, let hair air dry then break to curl hair, throw in laundry, grab a recovery snack, then back to work. Isn't technology great?

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Runner Leana said...

Yes Maddy, the Minnie in May!! I already can't wait to go back. I'm glad to see you are considering both. The 5K this year goes around World Showcase and I absolutely love running that.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Petraruns said...

OH Maddy how I've missed you! I totally share your feelings about running 5 milers - the first miles make me feel like giving up. Totally. I HAVE to get through them. Now I realise I'm not alone - this will help.

What an achievement at Disney - what a pace! Well done girl. I am very very impressed with you. And the pink skort is very cute ..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home