running

Thursday, January 31, 2008

100+ Miles and Takin' it to the Streets

It has been a busy week.

I feel like it has been non-stop since Saturday.

I was going to meet Cheryl and her friend Alan at the West Orange Trail on Sunday morning for a ten miler. Carrell had a client deadline that he had to meet, so I ended up not being able to make it. Sunday afternoon I ended up with 13 miles on the treadmill.

The days have flown by one after another. I wonder where the time goes.

I carved out some time on Monday, Wednesday and today to get some running done. I ended the month with 103 miles. Any month that I get more than 100 miles in makes me happy. I have a feeling as the second half of the year arrives and I train in earnest for the Goofy Race and Half Challenge I will have some months with well over 100 miles.

Today I ventured outside (Gasp! During the week!) I have a decent hill for a driveway and it's about 1/10 of a mile long. I ran several repeats and then headed out towards Hwy 19. I realized that it was probably not the smartest move at 3:00 PM and the private school around the corner was letting out so there were cars everywhere. I swear the guy in the Volvo wagon was aiming for me...


My Driveway

Since Saturday I have been experiencing stomach cramps when I run. I can't pinpoint what the cause is or what is different from what I have been doing. It hasn't been awful, just uncomfortable. Does anyone out there have any ideas about what may be causing the cramps and any way I can convince them to stay away? I would love to hear about it.

I was pretty sure that I was going to run another 5k this weekend at Universal Studios, but I have changed my mind. I'm still on the fence about the Lady Track Shack 5k but I am headed to San Diego early the next morning and I want to be sure I have a good day with my family before I'm gone for nearly a week.

Last week the PE teacher at my kids'school sent me an email. Each spring the 4th -8th graders particpate in a track challenge at the National Training Center. I have been asked to speak to the 4th and 5th graders on Tuesday morning about running and how to prepare for their challenge in April. On Thurday morning I will be speaking to the 6th - 8th graders. I'm very excited about it. And I have definitely won "cool points" with my kids. Any thoughts on ideas to share there? Bring it on!

9 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Blogger Susan said...

WOW WOW WOW -- what an honor! You'll inspire those kiddos for sure! I don't know what to tell them -- but I'm sure you'll come up with something brilliant.

13 miles on the 'mill - you go girl!

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger akshaye said...

That is awesome that you get to talk to the kids!

Hope those cramps go away.

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

Maddy - well done on the 100 - that IS a good month!

and as for what to tell the kids - you know, I wish someone had told me when I was a kid that running was fun and running races was fun and that even if you weren't the fastest (I was always at the back) you could have a great time doing these things with your friends. The focus for kids is so often on doing well and I wish I had found out before my thirties that "just doing it" was as worthwhile as it has proven to be..

Finally good luck with the cramps. Only get them when you run?

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Road Warrior said...

Maddy, are you wearing something around your hips like a waist pack? When I have worn mine too tight, I tend to have some stomach aches.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Bev said...

Great job on the 100+ month. I'll have to go back and add mine up. What a great role model for your kids. Take a few of your finishers medals. I'm sure the kids would like to hold them. Tell the kids to not start out too fast.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

Wowsers on the 100 miles. Congrats!!!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Runner Leana said...

I saw the commercials for the Universal race and it looked like fun. Too bad it won't work out for you though! 103 miles in the month...that's great! I ran like 50-something, but most of that was the Goofy weekend and otherwise I've been a big slouch.

Have fun talking to the kiddos!

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger David said...

13 on a treadmill? and you live in Florida? Get outside!

A few good suggestions above. Kids always start out too fast no matter the distance. Showing off the medals will motivate them, especially the ones who think they're too slow to be runner. Remind them you didn't win any races to get the. Tell them how you race against yourself and the clock. Only if you're really good do you have to race against others.

Hydrating after a run. Not eating junk food. Take training time and distance up slowly. Bug your PE coach to start a running club. Bug your folks to run with you.

How's that?

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Congrats on a 100+ mile month. You are a running machine :-)

Wow, talking to the kids will be great. All of David's ideas are great ones! I especially like the idea of bringing the medals. If the kids were younger I would encourage them to do the Smile Mile on the 16th. The cut off for that race is age 11 (11 is the oldest group).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home