running

Saturday, February 02, 2008

G2 :: The Review

I heard a while back that Gatorade was going to try their hand (again) at another lower calorie alternative. You can find some background about why their first attempt failed and why they feel their on the right track now here.

I had really forgotten about the announcement, but I was reminded today. My son has been playing in a Davis Cup style tennis tournement for the past few weeks. Part of our routine includes stopping at the Kangaroo Express and picking up some Gatorade and snacks.

Today when I headed back to the cooler all of the Gatorade sport-type bottles were gone (there's only so much shelf space). In their place were the new G2 bottles.

While I was frustrated that the tennis player would not have his sport bottle, I was interested enough to give the new G2 a try.

I grabbed the orange flavor because it's my favorite (ever since the iced tea flavor was discontinued in 1993... Apparently, I was the only one who liked it. ). I have to tell you, I was expecting to be disappointed. I thought for sure it wouldn't be good. I was wrong.

It's delicious! Despite the lighter color, if I didn't know it had half the calories of regular Gatorade, I wouldn't have known the difference.

I really liked it. I try to pay attention to my calorie consumption (most of the time). And unless we're going to tennis, or I'm running a long one, I hate to waste calories on beverages. So, while there are still 100 calories in a 32 oz bottle, it's better than the 200 calories in a regular Gatorade.

My, what could I do with the difference in calories? Half a Three Musketeers Bar? Hmmmmmmm.

9 Comments:

At 2:35 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

I like your attitude! Sports drinks DO contain so many calories that it's worth checking them out before downing them - I don't consider them enough really. You're reminded me..

And yes - what you save on sportsdrink calories CAN be made up with so many more delicious options..

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you there - so many people think that because they're marketed with athletes in mind, sports drinks must be healthy. They're really not much better than soda, if you check out the ingredients. I haven't seen the G2 yet - looking forward to giving it a try!

_____________________________________
runninglife.us

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger David said...

step away from the candy machine!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger akshaye said...

I should try that out. I usually pour water into half a bottle to get the calorie count lower.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Zen Runner said...

My son convinced me to buy it when he stayed over a (soccer) team mates house - and I have to say, he now has me drinking the stuff. It's pretty tasty. We agreed it tasted like melted icepops... another guilty pleasure of my youth.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

The Captain picked those up this weekend too. Of course I laugh because homeboy does not work out in any way, yet he thinks drinking gatorade is good. Whatever. I digress. Glad to see that he likes the less calorie options though.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger peter said...

I never consider the caloric consumption when I drink sports drinks but I should. Another thing to read the small print about, starting with the sodium content, the fat listings (not that I know what those are about), calories.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Half a 3M -- that's my kind of deal! :)

I am waaaaay behind on the blogs and podcasts. Sorry!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

I worry about the sodium content of a lot of the sports drinks. I also worry about the content. I like and appreciate foods that are natural and not too highly processed. Most artificial sweeteners are food additives and not tested very well. As I read a label, I ask myself if I would like to ingest that chemical that I can't even pronounce...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home