running

Monday, August 04, 2008

A Hip Update And Weekend Runs

On Friday Shirley and I exchanged a few emails regarding my hip pain. Over the course of the morning we developed a pretty good action plan:

  • Start rotating shoes


  • Run outside when possible


  • Do some core work


  • So Saturday morning,with brand new shoes, I headed to downtown Tavares for eight miles on the Tavares Trail. I felt like I was going slow as the day quickly heated up. I ended up running at a 10:11 average pace. Slower than I wanted to be, but I was still happy with the run.

    And when I was done, there was no hip pain. None.

    The plan was to run a little further twice on Sunday. But after going to New Port Richey on Saturday afternoon, I was pretty tired. Sunday morning when the alarm went off at 5:30 AM, I just couldn't do it. I slept for another few hours. That meant running outside was out of the question. It is just so hot.

    I ran my scheduled 17 miles on the treadmill, again in my new shoes.



    After my run still no hip pain.

    After the previous weekend and the soreness I felt, and another suggestion from Shirley, I took my first ever ice bath.


    Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!


    And you know, I think it made a huge difference. I lasted six minutes. I was shooting for ten, but my feet were so cold, I held out as long as I could, but six minutes is better than nothing.

    Today, I ran my scheduled three miles, yes, on the treadmill, but I swapped out my shoes for the Nike Triax 11's that have about 240 miles on them.

    I would like to get outside tomorrow for my run, which means it will be an early start.

    With the hip pain gone, I'm feeling really good and strong.

    Now to get going with some core work. It's going to happen this week!

    14 Comments:

    At 12:42 AM, Blogger Road Warrior said...

    That's great news, Maddy! Nothing better than not feeling an injury or soreness. I'm so glad to hear it.

    It's funny. I had the IT band thing earlier this year and then my right knee started to hurt later. I was so excited that it was my right knee that hurt (rather than the IT band). It's odd what we consider victories, isn't it?

     
    At 7:58 AM, Blogger Marcy said...

    I am so glad you're feeling on the up! Oy, that's the one thing I hate about Nikes. You can't ever get anything more than 300 mi's outta them. I'm coming up on needing a new pair too. BAH!

    Brave you are doing the ice bath LOL

     
    At 8:09 AM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

    Love the pics - can now imagine you doing 17 miles on a treadmill....

    The ice bath is a hard and wonderful thing. Shirley has some good tips on how to make it a little easier...get in before you let the ice loose. Much harder to get in once the ice is in the water! But it really helps after those long runs!

    Glad the hip is doing better. Amazing what a new pair of shoes and of course some good advice, can do!

     
    At 8:53 AM, Blogger Susan said...

    Well hooray!

    We do have the same wall color. Small world!

    I love the ice bath. Smartest thing ever invented!

    Way to go, Maddy. Adios, hip pain.

     
    At 11:23 AM, Blogger Drusy said...

    ARG ice bath sounds horrible. You are brave!

     
    At 1:26 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

    YAAAAAAAAY!!!

    I'm so happy to hear the hip pain seems to have disappeared. Really, the worst ice water bath is your first one. The others will be easier. In addition to putting in the ice after you're already in just plain cold water, drinking something warm and having some nearby distractions will help. Remember that recovery is just as important as training!

     
    At 3:44 PM, Blogger Petraruns said...

    Yippee! Well done girlfriend! And nice tip on the Nikes - this is my first pair and I think I need to get me some new ones very speedily as well...

    LOVE the photo of you in the ice bath - cold? As long as it works, right?

     
    At 4:14 PM, Blogger Susan said...

    I have to revisit the ice bath topic again. I did it after the St. Jude's Marathon (and only then). I recall dreading it... but i tnot being bad at all (once I got over the initial shock). And I remember sooooooo much less soreness in marathon aftermath!

     
    At 12:32 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

    Ouchie. I am just catching up. I had hip pain last year during my marathon training that never went away. I blame my slow time for it. But going to a PT really helped me. Now I do some specific stretches that he showed me and so far so good this year. I would definately reccommend going to see a PT if it continues.

     
    At 1:43 PM, Blogger Runner Leana said...

    Glad to see your hip is playing nice now! I am so not a fan of ice baths...maybe should have tried one after my 21 miler, but oh well! I'm guessing you've started the back to back runs to prep for Goofy?

     
    At 8:27 PM, Blogger Jade Lady said...

    Great to hear! Shirley has spoken much about those ice baths. I still haven't been able to get myself to try this!

     
    At 5:31 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

    Ice bath? I don't know...

    I ran a half this weekend and got Charlie Horses in both calves. I don't think I was hydrated enough. It won't catch me again. Although it is still tender at the moment.

    Wow! What a treadmill runner! I don't think that I could do 17 on mine.

    I'm using the bike cross training to scout out new routes for the long runs (like my scheduled 18 miler this weekend!)

    Good job, young lady!

     
    At 10:36 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

    Ice bath? Does that cause shrinkage because I have parts that need shrunk...lol. Glad it's working.

    17 miles on the treadmill? You are both insane and my personal hero. I don't know how you do that.

     
    At 9:37 PM, Blogger David said...

    You really need to get outside more.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home