Sunday, July 06, 2008

Where in the World is Maddy?

It seems like vacation was a long time ago. Three weeks in this day and age is an eternity. Vacation was great! It was relaxing, and I feel recharged after a week at the beach.

My kids with their boogie boards

We headed to Ormond-by-the-Sea on Saturday morning after I went out for six miles. I was starting to feel scratchy throat and I was afraid I was getting sick. When I woke up Sunday morning, I knew I was sick, but determined to get my run in, I headed out for 10 miles. I got about a mile and half and I knew I would not make it to 10. I turned back and walked a lot of the way back. I let myself recover and didn't run again until that Thursday.

I figured that I would rather have a cold while I was at the beach than if I was working. By Wednesday afternoon, I was back to feeling like myself again.

At Ocean Walk in Daytona Beach

If you look closely in my right hand, you can see my Kleenex

We returned home the following Saturday and I had just enough time to get the house settled and the laundry done and then Wednesday, I was headed to San Diego for my monthly trip to the office.

My training schedule could not have worked out any better. My long runs were six and eight. I usually run to the Star of India and the USS Midway on Thursdays. It's just over six miles, so I ran it. Fridays I have been running to Harbor Island and down to Island Prime restaurant and back. It's about seven and a quarter miles. I headed past the Harbor Island Sheraton to extend my route and got just over eight miles for the day.

The weird thing about it is, because it was the first time I have ever changed days for my long runs, I felt like I skipped them. I keep reminding myself that I did run them.

My right hamstring has been complaining a little bit lately. Not that it's injured, but it has been making it's presence known. I have been using my foam roller, some ibuprofen, Icy Hot and some rest. I opted out of my hill training this week because of a lack of time, my attempt to stay healthy and the 5K on Friday morning (race report soon!).

I had six miles scheduled yesterday, but after a late night of watching fireworks, I knew that I wouldn't be getting up early to run outside on Saturday morning. I ran on the treadmill instead. I had 13 miles scheduled today. The plan was to get up and head to the Tavares trail for my run today. Last night my dinner did not agree with me. I had a terrible stomach ache. I was up until midnight. My plans changed.

I woke up at 8:45 AM and it was just too late to run outside. I decided to run 13 miles on the treadmill. I felt really good during my run. Things are progressing quite well for Chicago!

So now that I'm all caught up (well, as close as I can be...) I promise not to go so long without an update.


At 10:58 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Great photos! (even with the Kleenex)

Plan certainly change unexpectedly! I guess we jst gotta roll with the punches. Way to keep up!

At 8:30 AM, Blogger Marcy said...

Forget the Kleenex! Look at the hawtness in the pic ;-) WHOOT!!

At 10:57 AM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Way to juggle vaca, illness, work and marathon training! I'm glad to hear how well you're listening to your body. Indeed, you will miss much less by doing so. You look FABUOLOUS in that dress!!

At 3:12 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

Ah another foam roller user! Hope the hamstrings feeling better. Glad you had a great vacation!

At 7:15 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

I should get a foam roller. My hamstrings have been reminding me of their existance.

I was running a trail on Saturday morning when I twisted my left ankle. Very painful for a few minutes, but I was able to finish my run.

I had a Doctor appointment today, and he showed me how to use 3M Coban to wrp my ankle to keep it from happening in the future (it has only happened on a trail run).

Thanks for the update!

At 4:14 PM, Blogger Marathon Maritza said...

Glad you had a fun vacation! I need to take a page from your book - you go on vacations and business trips and have piles of laundry and kids and you STILL manage to update your blog. I need to get on that....

At 9:40 PM, Blogger Sunshine said...

Good to know the training is going well.. and even on a treadmill, yet. And you even look good with a Kleenex in your hand. Well wishes.

At 11:30 PM, Blogger Alisa said...

Good job running while on vacay! I know it's hard...

At 9:35 AM, Blogger IrishBlue said...

Way to get the miles in. 13 miles on the dreadmill? You're my hero!!

Ditto what Shirley said about the dress. You look great girl, even with the hanky and

At 6:14 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

Sounds like a fun trip (minus the sickies). Marathon training while traveling is tricky. Glad you got it in.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home