running

Sunday, December 28, 2008

2009 Goals




2008 was a pretty good year. I had some injuries and I've suffered from some general malaise regarding running lately, but overall, it's been a good one.
I have spent some time thinking about my plans for next year. They are:

I'm Moving


  • A new blog address. Someone made a comment that my blog address has been outdated for a while. Also, the RSS feed never, ever worked the way it was supposed to, so I am going to find a new home. Keep checking back. As soon as it's ready, I'll let you know where you can find me.


  • Mileage


  • Annual Mileage: 1,500 - I was on track for my mileage goal of 1,200 for 2008 until the middle of September and the wheels just sort of fell off. I would like to make my mid-distance mid-week run a little more consistent. That should be a big boost to get to that mileage goal. That's 125 miles a month.


  • Jazzing It Up


  • Regular Speedwork and Hillwork. Especially with my Spring / Summer Marathon in San Diego, I am going to need the hillwork. So I'm putting it out there so you can help keep me accountable.


  • Food


  • Eat like my life depends on it. Now that doesn't mean shoveling in whatever. My nutrition has taken a hit lately. I need to return to better eating habits that always seem to get lost in December. This goal includes reducing processed food, girl-sized portions and limit my visits to restaurants.


  • Welcome to the Gun Show


  • I have said for that last few years that after X race I am going to start weight training. This year I mean it. No Bull! so after the Goofy Race it will begin.


  • Wait, There's More...


    I have not been very good at cross training and stretching, so I want to include a little more of that into my life. Some yoga, more biking, things like that.

    San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon


  • My goal time for the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon is a new PR - I would like that time to be less than 5 hours. That's where the speedwork and hillwork are going to be essential to making that happen. My other goal for this race is to have the option run without a shirt. It will mean a lot
  • of core work, but I think I can do it. It doesn't mean I'll run in just a sports bra, but I want to have the option.

    Then What?


  • I am thinking about a fall or winter marathon for next year. I want something close that won't require a lot of travel. There has been talk about a full marathon in Tavares. Clermont is in option, as is Marathon of the Palm Beaches and Miami (although that wouldn't be until 2010). I have plenty of time to decide, but I'm throwing it out there.



  • Wow! That looks like a lot, but I'm sure that if I work hard, I can accomplish all of these goals.

    I would love your feedback.

    11 Comments:

    At 8:56 PM, Blogger Cory said...

    Excellent goals for 2009! Good luck. 125 miles a month!! Wow!!

     
    At 9:15 PM, Blogger Susan said...

    Wowee zowee! That is a list. I love it! I have sort of semi-absolved myself from goals for 2009, as I can focus on now is birth. BUT that is not right! I do have goals... they just don't start until March or April... ha

    Lady -- if you can figure out how to not wear a shirt in a marathon, I am going to uproot to Tavares so you can whip me into that shape/confidence! DO TELL!

    Strength training: that is such a good goal. We all need more of it!

    And, finally, I am in complete awe of your mileage goal and upcoming "Goofy" goal. You rock!

     
    At 9:23 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

    WOW, those are awesome goals! I love them all! I need most of them too. Maybe we can hold one another accountable?

    I really want to clean up my eating and cross train. Plus, the fast girl in my running club gave me two words of advice - speedwork and hill/trail running. So, let's just do this thing missy!!!

    2009 - Here we come!!!!!

     
    At 10:58 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

    I love the list...some sound similar to some of the things I am thinking about...some are different :-)

    You go girl! 2009 is going to be your year!!

     
    At 11:14 PM, Blogger Road Warrior said...

    I like that your goals are fitness, not just running. Good move. Can't wait to see you rick out 2009!

     
    At 3:40 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

    What a great list of targets to go for. I share so many of them - the cross-training, the eating, the speedwork - and running without a shirt I hadn't even thought to think of but you've inspired me. Let's all keep each other accountable! Much love, Petrs

     
    At 11:41 AM, Blogger Alisa said...

    Wow, great goals!

    As for San Diego, my goal is to break 5 hours too. My ultimate goal is to beat Oprah but I think I'll concentrate on breaking 5 hours first.

     
    At 6:00 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

    I know you can meet all those goals Maddy you rock. The last few weeks I have gone down hill, between this nasty weather and snow, ice, I haven't gotten so unmotivated to go outside. Now that it's a new year I'm ready to train hard. I plan also to hit weight training and core building so I can improve my running. :D. Your words and goals inspire me to do better.

     
    At 6:34 PM, Blogger David said...

    I usually advance my mileage goals by 5-10%, if I met my goal the year before. I am going from 1120 last year (1,225 actual) to 1250 this year.
    You hit on all the other good goal cylinders of performance and maintenance. Like running, repetition is the key.

     
    At 8:28 AM, Anonymous arcteryx said...

    Nice post! Looking for your next post this coming new year. More power! Have a happy running!

     
    At 7:01 AM, Anonymous kayan Association said...

    Thank you for your wonderful blog

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home