running

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I'm Not Dead

It seems that after my groin injury, I fell off the face of the earth.

I spent some time healing and resting. And then I got busy.

I spent time getting ready for back to back trips and just as preparations were wrapping up, the fun got started.

Last Monday, I travelled to San Diego for my company's user conference. It was a full week of catching up with clients face to face and learning a lot about how people are applying best practices to their campaigns.

I managed to get a few five plus mile runs in around Coronado Island. It was nice.

I arrived back in Orlando Friday around 5:00 PM.

Saturday, I was back at the airport Saturday at 9:00 AM for our flight to Chicago.

We have spent the last several days in Wisconsin. Visiting with family, checking out some attractions and just relaxing.

Tomorrow we are headed back to Chicago to check out the city and then, apparently there is some race, I'm going to look into on Sunday. Ummm, yeah, the Chicago Marathon.


I have decided to dedicate each of the 26.2 miles of this race to my friends and family. Now, normally, I would include links where applicable, but for the sake of time, I just can't do it.

1. Adam Tinkoff - He reminds us all that a journey begins with a single step
2. Casey McGraw - This amazing girl is battling her second round of cancer.
3. Steve Runner - He has he sights on a marathon under four hours.
4. Nik - #4 - 4 Feet Running and a Bad Girl of Running (Can you say San Diego?)
5. Dan - Because without Dan, Nik would only be 2 Feet Running
6. Jeremy - I think I can convince him that a marathon is in his best interest yet.
7. Chase - My daughter, my light, is seven.
8. Charlie - He's sharing his first marathon with us in Chicago.
9. Melisa - Her perseverance has paid off.
10. Marathon Chris - She's 10 years older than me - and an amazing friend and inspiration.
11. Patty - My sister is my best friend and she's just awesome.
12. Stone - My son, my buddy turned 12 today.
13. Susan - She's running the Worldwide Festival of Races Pregnant.
14. Darrell - My husband - we've been married 14 years and he's a cool guy.
15. My Dad.
16. Ann - She's planning on walking the Disney Half Marathon
17. Shirley - Fit, Fast, Friend
18. David - Striving for better every time
19. Linda - My aunt who is sharing the day with my family while I'm running the Chicago Marathon.
20. My Mom - (Rest In Peace) She would be proud of me.
21. Greg a.k.a. The Road Warrior - Virtually running coast to coast while in law school.
22.Cheryl - She has a passion for running and has run many many long runs with me.
23. All the Bad Girls of Running
24. All the Bad Boys of Running
25. Tracy - She thinks she'll never run more than a 10k, but I know her better than that.
26. Petra - Without an email so many months ago asking if I would be interested in running the Chicago Marathon, my fall marathon might have been somewhere else, all by myself instead of in one of my favorite cities with my friends.
.2 Me - I made it this far and this one is all me.

18 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Blogger Road Warrior said...

Thank you so much for the dedication. I'll be thinking about you this weekend and rooting you on, Maddy. Run Strong!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger joyRuN said...

Have a fantastic race this weekend - good luck!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I love that list! I especially love the last .2 -- you deserve it! No go burn up the asphalt!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

How cool to be mile #17! It's actually perhaps one of the toughest miles in a marathon for a lot of people. You're far enough along to feel like you are justified in being tired, yet perhaps not close enough to the finish to get excited about it being over soon. Also, many may be starting to hit the wall and slow down.

So here's a couple of things I like to do. Think of the race beginning at mile 20 and say to yourself "only 3 more miles and then I can start counting down to the finish." I also like to take a gel around mile 17 or 18 and give me a mental boost. Usually the gel will have kicked in by mile 20 so I'm ready to go when the race begins!

GOOD LUCK!!!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Marathon Maritza said...

I love your mile by mile breakdown, how wonderful and inspiring. You are going to have wonderful time in Chicago!

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

Do your best... I'll be cheering for you from the beautiful Pacific Northwest....

sincere-lee
lizzie lee

 
At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mile dedication is a fantastic idea. Brilliant.
Good luck on every mile, and enjoy yourself!

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

I like the mile dedication. I will be thinking of you all this weekend.

Run strong, enjoy the race and take pictures!!! :-)

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

I'm honored to be #4. I hope every mile is an awesome bad girl mile- good luck in the race!

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger runner-grrl said...

Best wishes, Maddy! It's going to be a fun weekend in Chicago :-) --Alex (run350 @ twitter)

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Best of luck Maddy! A nice, touching post. See you in Chicago! (jessejstreet @ twitter)

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Run well Maddy!! Have a great marathon!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

Good luck! Have a great race and have fun all the peeps doing Chicago!

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger CewTwo said...

Good luck! God speed! May the wind be at your back! Its been a long road and now you can see the end!

You're going to do great!

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger nylisa said...

Good Luck! You'll rock that marathon!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

Maddy, congratulations on your finish. I tracked the crew and saw you ran with Petra the whole distance.... Congrats again...Have a great meal and a glass of wine, You deserve it!!!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger David said...

Good job getting it done Maddy. It was brutal out there if you expected something any different than the conditions we train in in Florida. Phew!

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing!! Loved the dedications!! I'll be walking the Breast Cancer 3 day in Tampa and will use that idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home