running

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Marathon Training Week One

First of all, if you haven't seen Petra's latest post, check it out! You will never believe what our Rockstar accross the pond did this weekend. You Go Girl!

My training went really well this week.

I ended up with a 7.25 long run yesterday. I was thinking about running more - my shcedule called for a measly five miles. And the more I thought about it, the more I thought that there will be plenty of long, long, long runs in my future and I would be happy with a short long run (The best oxy-moron of all time...)



I was supposed to run five miles on Thursday. The alarm was set, my running clothes were laid out and waiting. The alarm went off at 4:30 AM and I made it out of bed at 6:00 AM.

So what happened?

About a year ago my alarm clock broke. In a pinch, I started using my cell phone. Over the course of a couple of weeks, I went to Target on several occaisions to gt an alarm clock. I would go during lunch and know that there was something I needed. I got soap, shampoo, birthday presents, bathing suits for the kids whatever, but I always forgot the alarm clock. I soon figured out that cell phone worked good enough.

Thursday morning I was dreaming I got a phone call. No wonder I didn't get up. I made up the run on Friday, which was technically a rest day. I'm not going to count that as a missed run, but maybe a misplaced run.

Because I have generally had my long runs on Sunday, I woke up this morning feeling a little empty. One of those "So, now what..." types of feelings. I had all this pent up energy and I wanted to do something, so I decided to do a little cross-training. I swam laps in the pool. My pool is on the smallish side. I can get about six strokes in before I reach the wall. But it beats no pool at all. I swam for about 30 minutes. And I felt pretty good about doing that.

The saga continues as we head into Week Two!

7 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Congrats on completing week 1 of marathon training. You are very right, you have plenty of long, long runs ahead - so enjoy! :-)

Swimming sounds like a good way to cross train!

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

Thanks for the shoutout and the support Maddy - we moms need to feel like crazy Rockstars at times and it beats trashing a hotel room... I'd only feel like i had to tidy it up afterwards..

You sound so well on track girlfriend! I was thinking of you the other day getting your 5 miles in by 6:15! I think all marathoners are a bit nutty.. What training program are you using? And re. the crosstraining - do it! It really helps I think - I'm never very good at it but you're motivating me. I'll do it if you do!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I am loving this adventure!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

Maddy, As I am the neophyte around here. I appreciate your insight and your tales of training, as well. Thanks!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger David said...

That's funny about missing the "phone call."
It really doesn't matter which day you get the miles in so long as they get done.
But later, when those longer runs fall in the middle of the week, you'll want to be on target so you don't hurt yourself on the weekend.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Nice pic of the Golden Gate bridge! Last time I saw it was during Nike 26.2 2004 and there was the usual fog surrounding it. But it still looked beautiful.

Keep up the good work in training. Hey, if you're into swimming, maybe you should try a tri next after your marathon :-)

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

Congrats on finishing your first week. I think the first few weeks are the toughest, trying to get into a new routine.

Also, thanks for sharing your schedule with me. You're awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home