running

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mother's Day and Marathon Training

I had a fantastic Mother's Day weekend. I didn't really touch on it in my last post, but it was really a fantastic weekend. The kids (with Darrell's help) suprised me with an iPod Nano - pink of course.


My crew

No one was sure exactly what I needed or wanted to go with it, so Monday I bought the Nike Sport Kit and the Arm Band. What fun toy. I uploaded my morning run to the Nike site tonight. I wish I had data from yesterday, but that's okay.

Kevin - did you really email my husband? It seems like you two were thinking alike...

Two days into my official training I am enjoying the structure. I have a feeling that I would have "been too tired" to run this morning, but I got up and had five miles in the books - before 6:15 AM. I have a purpose and a goal and if the schedule says to run, then I will have to get up early and run.

My training schedule calls for cross-training on Wednesdays. Hmmmm. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about that. Tomorrow my plan is to calibrate my iPod accessories - it was about a tenth of a mile off after 5 miles this morning. Which means, I will run 1 mile and walk 1 mile - technically not really cross training... I was thinking about swimming when I get home tomorrow night. Another option is Tae-Bo. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to them.

Thursdays call for speed work. I've never done that before. But I am excited at the prospect of getting faster. I have never done it before and feel a little lost on where to start. Thursday is 4 x 400 - no track in sight so my plan is figure out a quarter mile outside and take my run outdoors... Again, suggestions welcome...

One thing I am planning for is success!

6 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Susan said...

To my SHOCK, I have found that I like running on the track, WHEN IT IS STRUCTURED, like for intervals. Find your local high school track and give it a whirl!

I LOVE my iPod. Best gift ever! Mine is red.

What a great looking crew!

Cross training: what about pilates or yoga or something like that that strengthens your core and offers flexibility training? I have NEVER followed the cross training rule while training... but I should!

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

enjoy the nano! actually i just did a post on speedwork. a little lost myself was looking for ideas. let me know what you come up with.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Great race crew!

I'm not sure where you are in Orlando but if you're in the downtown area, there are usually plenty of people running at the Howard Middle School track. When they're in session, Track Shack has their group training there on Tu & Th nights.

The only thing I don't like about tracks is going fast always in the CCW direction (get problems on my left side from doing so). If I do speedwork, I prefer doing it on a regular run course with intervals based on either distance or time.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Cross train - I never did well with that training last year. This year I am doing the dreaded elliptical as a cross train combined with weight training to build my core. When I start working speed I will most likely use my Garmin to measure out the distance (or time). I am pretty close to a track but I like the convenience of just heading out the front door in the morning.

Looking forward to some long runs this summer...early in the morning for sure :-) I bet we can get Shirley to join us as well!

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger nylisa said...

Can I see what your training schedule looks like? I'm wondering if I'm doing enough...

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

Ditto Maddy, would you mind sharing your schedule? Pretty please. ;-)

I'm running on the same day as you and the schedules I've looked at are much shorter, like 16-18 weeks.

I've never done speed training, but I'm going to do some for the Marathon. Doubt I'll go to the track though, probably just use my Garmin in the hood.

I LOVE my iPod and never run without it.

Stay strong!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home