running

Sunday, April 29, 2007

A Whirlwind Week...

26.2 Here I Come!

I've been contemplating a full marathon for several months. After learning about what my friend and co-worker was going through, the decision was really a no-brainer.

My friend Casey, who is graduting from the University of Central Florida next Friday, is a part of the Media Services department at my company. She is a beautiful, bright 22 year old young lady. Casey was recently diagnosed with Lymphoma. She spent her senior spring break in the hospital having biopsies done and a port installed in her chest to make chemotherapy easier.

I decided to join the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training to help raise awareness, and some money in hopes of finding a cure. I am running the San Francisco Women's Marathon in honor of Casey. To learn more, or to see how you can help, click here.

In Other News...

Last week seemed to be a little busier than most, although I can't really figure out why.

My hamstring is still feeling a little tight, but I'm working through it. Someone on Thursday asked me if I had tried a foam roller on it. I had never even heard of a foam roller. I was told it was like a large pool noodle, only shorter.



Friday afternoon, someone else asked me if I had tried a foam roller on that nagging tight hammy.

When I left my office, I made a beeline for Target and purchased said foam roller. It has seemed to help. However, I am still trying to play it smart.

I had a nice 7 mile run yesterday at a 6.5 MPH pace. That is a half mile per hour slower than my regular pace, but I'm trying to keep the pressure off that leg. Another three miles today, I swear I'm playing it safe...

I need to be sure I'm healthy enough to run a good time next Sunday at the Women Run the World 15k. I'm really excited about this one!

5 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Hey, congrats on signing up to do the marathon. Prepare for a training experience you won't forget. The good news is that you already have a great base established.

Wish I was running the 15K with you but will be focusing on the 5K on Saturday with my daughter. After today's 8 miler, I am not sure I am ready for a 15K anyway. Not as bad as last week but I am just soooo tired. I think I need some time off :-)

Hope the roller works for you!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Maddy,
Thanks for putting "running" in perfect perspective. *hug* You rock girl.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats on taking the dive into marathons and what better way than to help your friend. I ran the inaugural Nike 26.2 in 2004. It is a very different race with lots more focus on women and fun than other marathons I've run. I'm sure you'll have a blast. Good luck in your training and hope the hamstring thing goes away soon!

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Marathon Maritza said...

Hey! Thanks for visiting my blog!

I am very excited for you...Nike was my first marathon and I loved every minute of it. The course is really beautiful and I know you will have a great time!

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

Terrific that you'll be running for your friend at work and all of the other's in her situation. Sometimes it's easy to forget how lucky we are the we *can* run, that we're healthy.

Good luck with your race Maddy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home