running

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Marathon Training Week Six

Once again, another strong week. I was able to get all of my miles in and overall I'm feeling pretty good. I've been stretching my hips at every possible moment and they are feeling much better. Yesterday during my long run, my right hip was tightening up, combined with the insane heat, for the first time in a long long time, maybe since the OUC Half Marathon, I took a walking break.



We were scheduled to run eight miles yesterday. Due to a miscalculation, we ran nine miles instead. I was thinking that my iPod was wrong. It's still not 100% accurate on the road, but it's close. I shut it off after 8.27 miles, because I have entered into an Nike+ challenge with another blogger, Robert Nelson, and I wanted to keep it fair.

I am experiencing some pain in my lower back on the right side. I'm not sure if it is associated with my hip, because it's low enough that it could be. The other culprit could be the beautiful half Lab / half Great Dane, known as "Kitty" that has gotten back into the habit of sneaking into my bed at night and I end up sleeping around her. If it's not better soon, I will go to the chiropractor or massage theripist.

We decided on Friday afternoon that if we were going to take a vacation this summer, we would need to do it soon. My in-laws are taking the kids to North Carolina at the end July and we didn't want to stack their vacations on top of each other. As we get into August, I have some weeks with a lot of milage that I don't want to interupt our fun. So we decided if we were going to go, it really should be this coming week. Nothing like a little planning,right?

I called our beloved Disney World, where we have spent our last three summer vacations (on top of going 50 - 75 times a year). They are completely booked next week. That's a pretty good indication that the parks will be so crowded that it wouldn't even be fun. So what to do?

We have also taken some long weekends at Madeira Beach. After the hotel we have stayed at several times refused to give us late check out when I ran the Madeira Beach Half-a-thon last December, we needed a new place to stay. We decided to move a little bit to the north. Clearwater Beach. Our hotel has a clear view of one of my nemisis bridges from the Clearwater Half-a-thon in January (My slowest half marathon of the season)


Sand Key Bridge

I am determined to get my runs in while I'm away. I'm usually the first one up anyway and I hae gotten good at sneaking out while the rest of the fam sleeps. We're leaving Tuesday and we'll be back on Friday - Four days at the beach is plenty! I have six miles scheduled on Thursday and four miles scheduled on Friday. I will run Sand Key Bridge while I'm there. I might actually attack Memorial Bridge too while I'm there.

I'm looking forward to the change of pace. Getting some rest, and getting some sun. Ahhhhhh, Vacation!

6 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

How lovely - your holiday sounds perfect. And running on your holiday is great - it's such a great way to see things. Hope you have a great time, have some lovely days with your husband and kids - we all need that. I'm off to Vancouver in 2 weeks and just can't wait!

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Enjoy your vacation! Clearwater sounds great. I've been there only once but remember there being some nice bike paths for joggers and cyclists. Hope the aches and pains go away.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

Enjoy your vacation.

I love to run on my vacations. I can plan an entire vacation around running. Or jeeping.

Sometimes that time alone while you run is very precious and special.

Enjoy it!

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Oh please take me with you!!! Ha.

You are Miss Get It Done. You rock! I think running while traveling enhances the experience.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Sounds like a great vacation!!! I guess I better rethink my visit to the parks next week!! Enjoy the time away and the beach :-)

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Cory said...

Enjoy your vacation. Sometimes those vacation runs are the best. Just remember to enjoy yourself and relax.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home