running

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Taking One For the Team

This morning I met up with the Team in Training Crew at the Seminole Wekiva Trail for a nine mile group run. I think that the trail is realatively new, maybe a few years old, but this was my first opportunity to check it out.

It's a nice paved trail with mile markers ever half mile. The best part about the trail is there is a lot of shade. nearly the whole run was under a canopy of trees. Except where the apartments are. Oh, and where the land is cleared for yet another development (Really, where are all these people coming from? Are there towns in North Dakota that have been deserted?).

My iPod is still not calibrated correctly. I think we went a little more than nine miles, but I know it wasn't 9.9.



I had been trailing a guy for the first few miles. The same guy I trailed last week. I kept thinking that I was on track as long as I could see him. Then I realized I was catching up to him. "I'm sneaking up on you Jim!" I called out to him.

As I got up to him, we started to chat. We were discussing nutrition, and he said that he had taken in a lot of carbs last night, the beer kind. He said he was struggling a little bit.

I couldn't leave him. I slowed a bit and we ran and chatted and ran and chatted. It's the first time, maybe ever, that I ran and talked with someone for that long. I bet we ran six miles together.

The funny thing is, my pace was slower than last week, after a poor nutrition plan last Friday night I struggled through the run last Saturday. I was pretty unhappy with my run last week. This week, I helped Jim get through the run, and he told me how grateful he was.

With a mile or so to go he said he was so glad he had someone to talk to get through it. When we finished our run. He said, "You know, You Kick Ass!".

I thanked him for his kind words. Despite the slower pace, it was a great run!

Side Note:

I took Marathon Chris' advice and tried out Podrunner on my run this morning. The 175 BPM mix kept me pretty consistant through the first couple of miles. I think I have a keeper for the long runs. If you haven't tried it yet, you're missing out! Thanks for the suggestion Chris!

Dinner Last Night:

Cheese Ravioli with Vodka Sauce and Hot Sausage. I don't know what it is, but there is something in the pasta and sauasge combination that works really well for me. Anyone care to weigh in on that one?

7 Comments:

At 4:27 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

The thing about the long run is that time is not the critical component - it really is all about the distance. Now you are no foreigner to 9 miles so you are probably more in tune with the time. But if you got the miles in and you spent time talking the time away, more power to you!!! That sounds like a great trail - I need to check it out because I sure could use the shade as the runs get longer!

Glad the Podrunner helped! :-) And you settled in on 175 bpm - good for you!!!

As for the pasta and sausage - sounds interesting but that would absolutely kill me!!!

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger David said...

ditto chris. never mind the time. it's the distance. and the company is what it si really about. a good day. i need to try that trail someday too. it sounds cool.

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

That's weird - many years ago I worked in a summer camp in Apopka and I'm sure we hiked around there with our campers in the July and August heat.. Blast from the past! Sounds like a great run and it is wonderful sometimes to run with someone and talk. Going to try the podrunner mix myself now.. and I love pasta, sausage and vodka sauce, though I'm not sure how I'd run after it..

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger CewTwo said...

I have a Kitchenaid mixer with the pasta roller combination. I can make up homemade noodles in minutes. I beleive that few things taste as good as homemade noodles.

Prior to November of 2005, I would even make homemade Italian sausage. No longer, though. I do miss that.

Great run commentary! The camradery is part of what is fun about the sport!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Susan said...

That sounds DELICIOUS. Maybe I should try it.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Marathon Maritza said...

I'm glad you had a great run and helped another runner too! That's one of the things I love most about running...the community of runners you get to be a part of. :)

You're doing great!

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Petraruns said...

how's the runner's elbow? you know driving along on the carpool yesterday i swear i could feel my elbow! sympathy pain? i wonder .. the power of suggestion ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home