running

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

My Kind of Town...

I have been thinking about a fall marathon since December when I decided to stick to the half in Sarasota. There had been some ideas thrown around between some bloggers. Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco... There was no final decision. And then late last week with little discussion a plan was put into place.

The incredible Petra asked if I would be interested in registering for Chicago. The funny thing is, I had been thinking a lot about Chicago over the past few weeks. Of course being featured in the Spirit of a Marathon contributed to my wanting to run there, but also, I lived 40 miles outside of the city until I was 12. I have an aunt close by and my sister lives about 2 1/2 hours away. It would be nice to have my family cheer for me!

Early this week I registered. Chicago will be my fall marathon. Petra will be there too. As will David and Irish Blue (a.k.a. Melisa).

I think it will be an amazing race! And the more the merrier! Who else is in?

Click here to register. You know you wanna!

******

Today was the day I talked to the 4th and 5th graders at my kids' school. It went really well and they were interested in what I had to say. I took the comments I recieved and shared them with the kids. I showed them my medals and I even ran a mile with them.

I had to stay strong becuase I told them not to start out too fast. However I was not about the schooled by 11 year olds. I ran that mile in 7:10. It felt good and it was really really fun!

I would highly recommend finding some tough kids to run with! It'll make you strong!

8 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

Dang - kids are fast. They scare me. ha ha.

I'm thinking of a fall marathon too. Not sure where yet...

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Bev said...

7:10 wow! I guess I would run fast too if I had a wild pack of crazed 11 year olds chasing me.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Susan said...

7:10 -- JESUS! Did they have to replave the track when you finished?!?

Way to go, Maddy. I have been wondering about your talk with the kids! I'd love to hear more about what all you told them.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger akshaye said...

7:10.. you can make the track team!

Chicago will be fun!

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger musiklvr said...

or go see spirit of the marathon documentary film about the 2005 chicago marathon. this movie will certainly inspire you to run a marathon.

theatre and ticket info: http://www.fathomevents.com/details.aspx?eventid=694&utm_source=BuzzTone&utm_medium=BuzzTone_posting&utm_campaign=Spirit_of_the_Marathon_Encore

i'm running the la marathon in 2009 because of this documentary. i loved it.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Way to go with the kids. The adrenaline gets us every time.

So glad you're on for Chicago. It will be great!

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Great pace on that kids run! And I'm sure Chicago will do everything it can to make this year's race fabulous after last year's fiasco. I wish I could run it just to be there with the rest of you!!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

I spent many a summer in chicago growing up. My parents would pack me up and send me to the Aunt and Uncle during the entire summer. Great memories.
I took Amtrak around the country a few years ago and part of it took me back through Chicago. I saw a lot that I remebered and a lot that was new. I swear the Chicago Taxis are the fastest in the free world!
I have a brother that lives in the Quad cities, still.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home