running

Friday, February 15, 2008

Where Has the Running Gone?

Last week I had hoped to get some miles in before I headed to San Diego. It just didn't work out that way. It was really important to me that I was available to spend time with my family before I headed out, as this was going to be a longer than normal trip. It didn't rank very high on my weekend priority list.

Monday morning I woke up at 3:15 AM EST to get to the airport for my 7:00 AM flight. This put me in San Diego just before lunch time PST. I checked into my hotel and walked to the office. It's about a half mile walk. I worked in the office for the afternoon and later than evening several people from my company went on the conference sponsored Harbor Cruise. It was absoultely amazing. We were in the San Diego Harbor for two hours. I had dinner with some industry superstars and I was able to spend a good bit of time with members of my team that I don't see very often. It was a great experinece.

I didn't get back to my hotel until later close to 11:00 PM PST - It was about a 22 hour day for me. Needless to say, Tuesday morning, I opted out of my run.

I spent all day Tuesday at the conference. In the evening we spent about two hours at a reception and then it was on to dinner. Another late night...

Wednesday morning I was a part of the keynote panel. No chance I could be late. I needed to be at the conference before 8:00 AM. Another day, no running.

Thursday morning, I was finally getting into the swing of being on the West coast. I got up and went for an easy run. Just a little more than 3 miles. My back has still been slightly uncooperative and I really didn't want to push it. It felt good to get out there and get to it!

This morning, I got up and even got dressed and ready to hit the road but, with the temperature hovering in the mid 40's I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I understand that sometimes life gets in the way of running. I don't like when that happens. Although it's a part of the cycle. I hope to get a long run in this weekend - maybe on Sunday and then get things back to normal.

10 Comments:

At 2:18 AM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Don't sweat it ;-)

I'm in Austin now and purposefully made this week a step-back week in my training knowing that I probably would not be able to train much and, indeed, that was the case.

On the good side, we will probably be both well rested when we return and recover from any jet lag effects. Hope you have a good President's Day weekend!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I think you did all that you could do! You did run once (which is enough, in my book) and you rubbed elbows like a champion, it sounds! :)

I agree with Shirley; don't sweat it. Now your muscles will be ready to dominate Florida!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

I can relate - the best plans sometimes get trumped by other things that really rate as more important.

You will catch up just fine!

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

Whoa - it's never that cold there. I'm glad I'm out of town this week :)

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Sunshine said...

Have a good run tomorrow!!

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

It's just life isn't it? Fit it in where you can and then sometimes something else just has to take over. Enjoy the kids and don't sweat it. Sweat it today though!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

Maddy,
You'll get back in the swing soon enough. Enjoy SD and the conference. Sounds like it's going well.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

dont be too rough on yourself... consider it as your off season and enjoy the week!

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven. It just happens that way.

Just think of the excuses you could use if you feel sore after a good long run. All the more worth while!

Hand in there, Maddy!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

I hear you. We are so structured that we think our whole life is going to fall apart if we miss our runs. Don't worry. I think you had a great professional and social-networking time in CA (I am going next Thu for 10 days to SoCal and I am so excited to see my hubby and for the change of weather).

Running is always there even if there are things that get in the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home