running

Monday, August 18, 2008

Getting it Done

Things have been going okay. I have not gotten as many of my shorter weekday runs as I would like. It's just been some crazy times. That being said, I still feel like I'm on track.

Saturday, I met up with my friend Cheryl and a few people she knew. I had nine miles scheduled and Cheryl (training for San Antonio) had seven miles scheduled. We decided to meet in the middle and run eight miles.

We ran a new route that was pretty hilly and it was pretty hot. Even starting at 6:00 AM. I'm looking forward to the cooler temps, if they ever get here.

Sunday I was supposed to meet Cheryl again. We were going to run 14 miles along Lakeshore Drive into Mt. Dora. We agreed to meet at 5:30 AM.

Saturday evening Cheryl called me and said that she wouldn't be able to meet me until 7:00 AM. I was fine with that, despite knowing it was going to be HOT.

Saturday night I changed the time on the alarm on my BlackBerry, which I always use for my alarm clock. The only problem was, I didn't turn it on.

At 7:10 the phone rang. It woke me up and before I even opened my eyes I knew it was too light and I had overslept.

Cheryl had planned on running and then going to church so she was on a pretty tight schedule. I told her I would never make it on time.

I went back to sleep.

The decision was made for me. The run would get done and it would get done on the treadmill.

I got up and drank some coffee ate a bagel. I decided to take the morning slow. I got dressed, grabbed the cooler and headed up to the Kangaroo for some G2 and 20 lbs of ice.

I got started and took it a little slower than normal. The idea was to get it done. I put on my shoes with less than 30 miles on them, hoping that the newer shoes would help keep any potential hip pain at bay.

I worked through the miles one by one. After seven miles I filled up my water bottle. Again after the next six and then there were only six miles to go. Six miles is a piece of cake.

When I had completed my run (3:02:30) I made some hot tea, grabbed a magazine and got in the tub. As the tub filled with cool water, I opened the bags of ice. The tea was a big help, I could have and maybe should have stayed in the ice longer. I stayed until my daughter's begging for me to get in the pool won out.

As I got into the pool, my husband said, the water feels good, but it's a little cold. My legs were so cold, I actually thought it felt warm.

I was supposed to head to San Diego tomorrow, but because of the Tropical Storm / potential Hurricane headed straight for us, I have cancelled the trip. I was looking forward to running my familiar humidity-free routes. Soon enough, I'll be there again.

6 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

You gotta tell me how you do that treadmill thing. Way to get the miles in. You rock. I'm sure you are on track and will do great in Chicago.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger David said...

It will never get cooler here until all our races are done. We have to train in the heat because it is our friend (like hills).

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Susan said...

You really did get it done! And on the 'mill -- wow!

I do hope that the storm misses you guys. Please keep us posted!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Way to get it done!! I'm proud of you Maddy. Great job.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Great job on getting the miles done!!! I have to try having hot tea while in the tub. That would help the shivering part!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

Wow! Way to go! I'm not sure I would have had the perseverance!

Great story to go with it, too! Great reading. Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home