running

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes

The plan this afternoon was to drop the kids off at the in-laws and go to EPCOT and have a nice meal to celebrate Valentine's Day. As we were getting ready to leave, I told Darrell that I thought we would have to make a side trip to the Track Shack. Unlike David who had some soreness whispering to him earlier this week, my hip was down right yelling at me to STOP!

My attempt to run Friday was not good. I had six miles on my mind. The hip totally disagreed. After a half mile it just refused to continue. It was like rollerskating and having the wheel catch a rock and just stop rolling. I envisioned myself tumbling off of the treadmill and creating a whole other set of problems for myself. So in my never-ending quest to not be stupid with my training, I just stopped. I waited several minutes and added another 3/4 of a mile at a slower pace.

I decided I can't continue down that path any longer. I held out as long as I could, and I don't feel like I'm getting any better.

The results of my shoe shopping:



My Brooks were just not working. One of the problems: I have spent more than a year and half running in shoes (that I was fitted for) that were a half size too small. Little ole 5'2 girlie wears a 9! No wonder I'm down to 8 toenails!

I was just telling Darrell that someday I would like to get a pedicure again, but I need to get all my toenails back. He suggested I go now and ask for a discount. I think not!

The new shoes also offer more cushion to help the hip and a wider toebox.

Tomorrow I plan on a nice long slow run if the hip cooperates. I will need to drop my pace down a little bit - kicking and screaming all the way...

2 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Prior to being properly fitted and analyzed about 1.5 years ago, I was running in size 8.5, like the rest of the shoes in my closet. Turns out, in running shoes I am a size 10. WOW! Oh well - no more bruised toenails.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger David said...

I love new running shoes. It helps when they're the right size! Good luck with the Nike's.

Are you running the Outback next week? We should meet up if you are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home