Monday, July 16, 2007

Week 9 :: It Was Okay

For the first time in nine weeks, I missed a run. It was not misplaced or made up at a later date, it just did not happen.

I ran Monday night when I got home form work. I didn't even get my run started until 8:30 PM which is super late, but I really wanted to get it in. Monday was the last day in the Nike Plus Chllenge I joined on Robert Nelson's running blog. It was most miles in four weeks. I took first place in the challenge with just over 120 miles.

I had planned on running Tuesday night, but it just didn't happen. I thought that I could make it up on Wednesday morning. I overslept. Bahhh.

I ran Speedwork on Thursday night - 7 x 800. A little slower than my normal pace. But still got those seven miles done in less than an hour (58:48) w00t!

I have been so incredibly tired. All I was to do is sleep. I agree with Marathon Chris that is partly due to my current situation. I am feeling a lot of stress and it's taking it's toll. Again, Bahhh.

I have never been able to run in the morning after an evening run. So that Tuesday run happening on Friday was out.

I was up at 4:20 AM on Saturday morning to be at Winter Garden Sataion of the West Orange Trail at 5:45 AM for a 14 miler that turned into 14 1/2 or so. I started out pretty strong and at mile nine I started to drag.

The West Orange Trail hooks up with the South Lake Trail For those not familiar with the area, it might be odd that one county's West trail meets up with another county's South trail, and not an East Trail but it totally makes sense.

I really has to dig deep to get through this one. I think there were a couple of things going on here:

  • I did not eat properly Friday night.

  • It was HOT

  • My socks were squishy

  • I bought some new socks on Thursday. I decided to try some wicking socks and settled on the Adidas Clima-Cool socks ($11.00 for two pair- YIKES!) I thought they might help my toes and the blisters I get with long runs. By mile 9, when I started struggling, I noticed my feet were squishing in my shoes. I never had that problem with cotton socks. Sure, the socks were pulling the moisture away from my feet and then it was just sitting in my shoes. Gross. I actually had to put my shoes in the sun when I got hoe to dry them out.

    Overall, it wasn't an awful week. It wasn't my best either, but they can't all be butterflies and unicorns.

    Saturday was my longest run to date, ever. And though I was tired for the rest of the day, I still feel okay about the week


    At 9:25 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

    Congratulations on running your longest run ever!!! The first time that happens is really cool. After that, it is still pretty cool. You will be setting distance records for the rest of the year up to the race!!! :-)

    Hang in there. I can't imagine how tough that commute must be. Maybe you can get them to let you work from home a day or two each week - to at least give you a break from the commute!

    Lesson learned - just like for the marathon, never try anything new for the big long runs!

    Another thought - with these runs that are 16 miles +, you can start to treat them like marathon rehearsals - with eating, fueling, rest and prep. You can figure out what works and what doesn't before race day.

    One last thing I learned from Shirley - consider an ice bath after the longest runs (I think 16+ miles). It is the longest 10-15 min of your life (you will need two ice bags for the bath) but your legs will thank you later and recover quicker!

    At 11:26 PM, Blogger nylisa said...

    Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to do that.

    Sounds like you are having a tough week. Hang in there!

    At 12:23 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

    120 miles in 4 weeks way to go! great dedication to get out and keep going.
    about socks.. the dry fabric, moisture wicking stuff is much more comfy for long runs... but you dont need to shell out a ton of cash for them. look at discount stores, or online ... i usually find them for about 2-3 dollars a pair

    At 12:58 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

    Hi Maddy and welcome to marathon training in the summer! Yes, indeed, you'll be needing more sleep, more to eat and find that you sweat more than ever before :-)

    Chris has already mentioned some great tips. Another one for the soaked shoes is to pull out the insoles and then stuff the shoes with newspaper to help absorb the sweat. Don't leave them out in the sun as that will probably shorten their life span some. Make sure to put the insoles back for your next run.

    Keep up the good work!

    At 3:19 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

    As the neophyte of this group of runners, I appreciate it everytime that someone discusses a problem that they are having. It helps tp prepare me for when I may experience the same problem.

    Although I can't offer advice on this one, I know how I feel after some runs. Diet has a lot to do with how I feel. I ate horribly the other day and a 5 mile run the day after felt just horrible. Denver is also experiencing super hot temperatures. I just can't get myself to run outside. So it is inside surounded by fans and air moving devices!

    Hang in there, Maddy! I am wooting for you! Woot! Woot!

    At 10:28 PM, Blogger David said...

    Nice work on all that running. 120 in June/July is commendable in a big way.
    You didn't mention it but I hope you were refuleing along the way of that 14 miler. It does start to feel like a marathon at that distance and up. Train the same as in a race.
    Who doesn't have squishy socks in Florida in July? If you're getting blisters I am thinking shoes are at fault. Too loose? Too tight? Wrong fit?


    Post a Comment

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home