running

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Recovery and What's Next

By Wednesday last week, I was running. A super easy run that was just a little over two miles. The soreness had greatly diminished, and I was feeling the need to move my body. It was really nice.

I can't remember the last time I ran only two miles. But I can remember feeling quite accomplished when I had worked my way up to two miles when I started running again two and a half years ago. Funny how that works.

Sunday, after I got notification that Chris had reached the five mile mark, I thought I would run "with her" virtually for an hour. I ran seven miles.

This week I thought I would pick up the tail end five weeks of the intermediate half marathon training program I have in preparation for the OUC Half Marathon on December 1st.

I had also planned on running the Holiday Halfathon the next weekend, but I may change my mind. This is the race I set my PR on last year, so a part of me really wants to see if I can run it even better, but...

On January 12th, I will completing my Trifecta, the third consecutive Disney Half Marathon.

How it's possible that training for a marathon can even allow a person to gain weight is beyond me, yet running more than I ever had has added some extra pounds and that makes me unhappy. Apparently I am not alone in this phenomena. P.O.M. experienced the same results and she's doing something about. Check out her Holiday Weightloss Challenge. I have a sneaky feeling that if I was a wee bit lighter, I would be a wee bit faster. I have joined the challenge and I'll let you know how that goes.

I have mentioned before David's maddening marathon comment. To paraphrase, he says that the marathon is so maddening because when you run one, you want to see if you can run one better. After a week and a half, I'm already wondering.

The logical choice would be Disney in 2009. However, I am contemplating the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge and wouldn't be expecting a marathon PR. Plus, it's more than a year away. I can't wait that long.

I'm on the hunt for a spring marathon and I need to find one quickly. I considered the Country Music Marathon, a flat course, but registration for the marathon is closed.

Another option, and maybe the most agreeable for my family is the Knoxville Marathon. If I counted correctly, It's about 20 weeks away. Plenty of time. I'll need to reach out to Terry to see how "hilly"it really is.

Does anyone know of any other Spring marathons, preferably flat and within driving distance to Central Florida, I would love to hear about them.

13 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Well - the Little Rock Marathon is NOT flat -- but you'd have the best pit crew EVER here! :)

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I have added pounds, too. YUCK!

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Road Warrior said...

Congrats on getting started again, Maddy. You had an amazing run and you obviously caught the bug.

I think weight gain is more about allowing yourself to eat more because you're more active. At some point, the calories don't seem to balance out to your favor. We eat more because we're more hungry and then we eat too much.

Unlike most people, you have good fitness habits so it should be much easier to get to where you need to be. Good luck!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Maddy, Check out the race calendar and race reviews at MarathonGuide.com. There are quite a few marathons within driving distance of us. Miami (1/27), Tampa (2/10), Myrtle Beach (2/16) are all flat. Little Rock (3/2) is hilly, but nothing like S.F.

Look forward to hearing what you decide. As for running and gaining weight, RW is right. What is needed most are more carbs in one's diet, not necessarily more total calories. Sports drinks, gels and energy bars add a lot of both.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

Lots of races coming up! Good way to stay focused. That's awesome that you are jumping right back in!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Sounds like you’re hooked! Country Music isn’t flat from what I remember, but it was fun. Congrats on your great race.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger David said...

Miami and Tampa are flat. I am holding both on my maybe list for post New York.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Aha, you are hooked! :-) My husband and I have already been talking about doing Goofy in 2009 - we could do it together! I agree, a PR for either race probably won't be likely - but 39.3 miles in one weekend, that will be cool.

You go Marathon Maddy!! YOu need a new sticker for your car - 26.2.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

hey. Just caught up on your race report. Congratulations! I am so thrilled!

I was just discussing the weight gain issue with others. Remember as you work out you're putting on more muscle.. which is more dense and hence weighs more. Hence you could easily be leaner but heavier!

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

btw.. the ING Georgia Marathon is in March. I am up for it... Not far you.. about 6 hrs and some?

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Congratulations! I have gotten the bug too. First marathon was in April, 2007; second was September, 2007...plan for 08 is Disney in January and the Flying Pig in May...then hopefully, NYC in November.

I am with you too on the weight gain. It sucks!

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

I was reviewing this weekend the marathon posters in the last Runners World edition and asked myself: After 3 weeks, when I complete my 1st marathon, what will be next?

I am glad that all of you are not only asking the same question, but have the plans laid out to continue the running conquest... I think 1/2 will be my choice for now, until I define what my quest will be...

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

I hear you on the weight gain. Seems kinda wrong, doesn't it? Sigh...

Sounds like you've got a plan. Go get em'!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home