running

Thursday, October 04, 2007

About That Fundraising...

When my friend Casey was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, this past spring, during her last semester of college, my heart went out to her. I wanted to find a way to help her. I offered hanging out with her during her chemo treatments, she politely thanked me, but never took me up on my offer.

I knew, from my mother's battle with cancer, that she ultimately lost, that the treatments can be rough, there is just something about the process of going to get chemo that can be worse than the chemo itself.

After some thought, and an advertisement in Runner's World, I decided that I would step outside my 13.1 comfort zone and honor Casey by running a marathon with the Leukemia and Lymphoma's Society Team in Training.

My commitment included not only training, but fund raising as well. My marathon is just a little more than two weeks away. My fund raising deadline is next Thursday. I have $685 to go. Almost $100 a day. Yikes!

Thank you to everyone who has donated to my cause. It means so much that my friends have supported me and my goal. Not only financially with donations, but with your kind words and encouragement when I really needed it.

For those who have thought about it or are just tuning in, now is the time! Click Here to go to my donation page. There is no donation amount that is too small.

I will be grateful for your support. I will also jump in for your cause, whether it's supporting your charity of choice, buying Girl Scout cookies (Thin Mints, anyone?), popcorn from the Boy Scouts, I'm in!

7 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger RunToTheFinish said...

What an amazing friend you are. I think most people just don't know how to support people when they have something like cancer.. you rock!

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Good luck, Maddy! I KNOW you will meet your goal.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Maddy, it was great running with you yesterday. I forgot to ask you if you have any more car washes planned. It's love bug season again, as you know, and my husband's car could use one as I'm sure many others.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Hey Maddy,

I see you made your goal!!! Congratulations :-) Now go run that race, girl!

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger jtj3 said...

Hey Maddy, congrats on reaching your goal. Fundraising runners get gold stars in my book! I read your blog religiously, but this is my first comment...I just wanted to say you're a great writer and very inspiring!

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats on meeting your FR goal!!!

Darn, I'll have to wash his car myself this weekend :-(

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

Maddy - I wish I could have given more.

Congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home