running

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Amazing Thing About Running

On Monday night I went outside with my daughter, each of us with a jump rope in our hands and we took turns jumping rope. Now, if you haven't jumped rope since you were a kid, I would highly recommend it. If you have the honor of being joined by a child, it's even that much more fun.

Now here's the thing about jumping rope. It's really hard work. I started thinking about being outside, enjoying the evening and playing like a child. But what I really was noticing was my lung capacity. I was able to jump for quite a while.

If I were not a runner, or active in some way, I'm sure I would be ten jumps in and then I would be exhausted.

The amazing thing about running is that because I run, I can jump.

On Tuesday night I went to the Dolphin Hotel at Walt Disney World to meet Marathon Chris, Shirley, and Adam for The Great Dolphin Run. We went a bit more than four miles at an easy pace and shared great conversation before, during and after the run. Who knew we would be just a few feet from Steve Ballmer?

On my drive home, I thought the amazing thing about running is that because I run, I have made some really great friends with similar interests. If I didn't run, I would never have been with those great people last night.

What a gift.

6 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger Runner Leana said...

I love those great revelations that we get from running - I especially love the "I can't believe I ran this far" feeling. And I have met some terrific people through running now too. I can't believe SF is almost here. I'm definitely excited. If I notice you I'll be sure to say hi!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Who knew? Running has done so much, it is hard to find a down side - nothing that can out do the good in it all!!

Jump away!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

There is something very cool about running. Even though I still feel like a fatty, and I know that I qualify for the "Clydesdale Class" of runner. Most of that is mental and I am working on it.
Even more exciting about running is these side events - Blogs, blogging, meeting fellow runners, running together...
I have learned so much and been able to apply it to my training. I have improved my body, my mind, my ability, and my chutzpah!
All thanks to running and my brotherhood/sisterhood/siblinghood of fellow runners! Thank you!

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger RunToTheFinish said...

I remember jumping rope for like hours as a kid! But now it seems so much harder!

Race day is almost here...oh boy!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Oh yeah, jumproping is hard! It took me a while to get the hang of it when I did it again as an adult in some gym classes. There's coordination as well as stamina involved. But once you have the latter, the former is possible, with patience, and so are many other things as well!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

I am not able to join you in Florida to run, but I am happy to have y'all as blogger-runners-friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home