running

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Red Eye + Jet Lag = Not Good

Thursday night I was sure I would bounce back quickly.

Not so much.

I had high hopes, even knowing that the one hour time difference from my past frequent trips to the Midwest left me feeling out of sorts for at least a day.



When you combine my inability to quickly adjust to a rapid time change, with a red eye flight - I left San Diego Wednesday night at 10:30 PM PST and arrived at the airport in Orlando at 9:30 AM EST on Thursday morning, my 20 mile run planned for Saturday just did not happen.

This weekend calls for 15 and we are back in Clermont for hills. It will probably be about 13 miles instead. The following week I have one last 20 mile run before the taper begins.

I would like to be getting more miles in than I currently am. I still feel like I am / will be ready for San Francisco, but as Susan says, sometimes life happens.

I am staying positive and working hard to get my runs in. There is a certain amount of adjusting going on. With the new job, I am working through what works best for me. Is it lunchtime that is the best time? Early morning (used to be my only option) or after the work day is complete?

Maybe it's a combination of all of these, depending on the day...

It's all good my friends, all good!

9 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

You'll get it all done. You're amazing!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger David said...

I would be sticking to one daypart.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

You will rock that marathon. I think you have the right attitude - don't sweat it! You will find a groove with the runs. Besides, you knocked that one 21 miler out a few weeks back just fine.

Like you, I lost one of my 20+ milers, and just got right on with the other ones on the schedule.

It is all good indeed!!!

BTW - you doing the Miracle Mile 15K?

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

You're doing great there Maddy - you're keeping on top of it. Missing a long run is inevitable in these long schedules but you've got so many miles in the bank I wouldn't worry about it - just get back in there and carry on. GREAT job on getting back into everything - work etc. - so just take it all as it comes. Life DOES get in the way sometimes.. And yeah - fit in the run where you can - every day is different and it's quite good training in its own way to be working out at different times - it shakes up the comfort zones!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger CewTwo said...

That's why they are training runs! Training is adjustable. I know that you'll get the miles and the "Muscle Memory" that you'll need to get the job done!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger nylisa said...

Better to be under-prepared than over-extended! Getting to the starting line is a goal in of itself! You can do it!

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

Hi Maddy. I am with you. For first time I was destroyed by jet-lag. Don't know why. I flew from DC to Seattle on Friday morning. I was planning to run my 17 on Fri afternoon, but would've been a disaster... Moved it to Sat.

I found out that whatever fits our schedule is the best time. The important thing is to ...

Keep Running!!!

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

Our marathons are a week apart! Good luck. I did my last long run last weekend and now I'm paying for it (I have hip issues, too). At least I have some recovery time. I looked up stretches on TFL/ITB and they seem to really help.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

I know that jet lag can really affect me so I usually don't do much the day after a long flight.

Don't worry about the missed run. You're already pretty much on the home stretch training-wise and just need to maintain fitness rather than build any more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home