running

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Let the Taper Begin and Marathon Chris Saves the Day!

I found out early in the week that I would not be participating in the Team in Training group run on Saturday. My son was scheduled to play in a tennis tournament. It's so important to be there for him (He won 3rd place - Yay!), I thought maybe there would be a way to make up that long run on Sunday.

I knew it was going to be tough. I also knew I would struggle through it if I were on my own. How was I ever going to get my 20 miler in?

On Monday, I told my friend Cheryl that I was not able to make to group run. She said that she wasn't either. Cheryl is running the half in San Francisco, so her mileage requirements are less than mine. I think she had ten on her schedule.

Over the course of some emails with Marathon Chris I discovered that she was running Miracle Miles 15k on Saturday but wanted to get her miles in for the weekend. At one point the Seminole Wekiva trail was brought up.

I was on to something!



From the meeting spot on Lake Mary Boulevard one direction is supposed to be an 11 mile out and back route. I asked Cheryl if she would be interested in going that distance. She said she would.

Chris was thinking 7 or 8 miles. I was thinking it would be close enough.

I had a plan in place! I met Cheryl at 6:00 AM or so. We hit the road at about 6:15 and we were back at the meeting spot at about 8:25 AM. My iPod says that 11 mile out and back was actually 12. I was a little later than I thought, but I found Chris patiently waiting for the second leg of the journey.

What a great run. We talked the entire time and kept a really nice pace. It was great to get to know her some more. It was really comfortable and I found the camaraderie amazingly helpful as I approached my 19th mile.

When we reached the cars, my iPod was reporting 22.73 miles total in 4:11:45. I never stopped my iPod so the time included a bathroom break at mile six, refilling my new fuel belt - that I love, by the way...

I'm a little sore right now and I'm a little tired, but it was an awesome, awesome run.

Look out San Francisco! Here I come!

****

News to note:

The Orlando Sentinel published an article about my trip to San Francisco to race for Casey. Click Here to check it out!

12 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger David said...

Well done. Have fun in SF!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

How cool Maddy that you're running with Chris. A real dynamic duo!

SF will be awesome. You're so ready girl.

Tell me about this fuel belt.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

How wonderful that you had company on your long run. As the weather gets cooler I might be able to do my long runs on weekend mornings with other runners and then do my bike rides with my husband afterwards. I'll have to be in pretty good shape to do them back-to-back, though!

Look forward to running with you, Chris & Adam soon!

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

Maddy, encouraging. Even though I love to run alone, I would have loved to have this particular week somebody to share more than running...

take care, and keep running!!!

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger RunToTheFinish said...

I haven't started to really taper for SF, but I"m only doing the half so maybe that's ok! Good luck, sounds like you are ready to rock it and it's going to be such a fun race!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Road Warrior said...

Almost 23 miles. Maddy, my dear, you are a rock star!

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

WOOOT WOOOT Maddy is rocking! What a run! ANd you're still here to tell the tale as well? You are going to SMOKE San Francisco.. How amazing and how great that you and Chris did this together - can't wait to hear you on the Extra Mile. Now take it easy - it's taper time!

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Thanks for inviting me to run with you!! I wasn't sure how far I could go after running the 15K race the day before, but I felt so good that the 10 miles seemed easy. I ended up taking you over 20 miles afterall :-) And you didn't even mind the walking breaks we took. Together we still maintained an 11:24 min/mile pace - a respectable pace for a long run which should be 1-2 min slower than your target pace.

Looking forward to some future runs together! :-)

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Runner Leana said...

Congratulations on getting your final long run in! It sounds like you are really ready for SF. I am so excited about the race too, although I'm running the half. Best of luck over there!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

Just in case you haven't read it....

Keep Running.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,sss6-238-244--6029-1-3X6-3,00.html

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

Wow! Sounds like you had a great run! Eventually I guess that I may be able to run as far as you can!

Great commentary on your run!

Be sure to congratulate your son on his 3rd place award!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Excellent run, excellent friendship and excellent article! You rock!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home