running

Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Next Big Thing

I got a lot of great suggestions for a spring marathon. Akshaye suggested Atlanta, but from what I remember from David's race report from earlier this year, it was pretty hilly. Just what I'm trying to avoid The second time around.

Speaking of David, who PRed in New York today, he suggested Miami or Tampa. I thought about Tampa for a few days until I realized that I was traveling for business that day. Tampa is out.

I spent some time looking at online race resources including marathonguide.com (Thanks Shirley!) and runningintheusa.com. and chose a few marathons that looked good.

And the winner is...



Sarasota!

I was planning on running the half there anyway, so the date has been saved. I ran the half there two years ago and the course was flat, with the exception of the Ringlng Bridge, and pretty darn fast.

My run this weekend never happened, partly because I thought I would officially start my training tomorrow.

I like having a plan. I didn't think I did before, but maybe that's what I had been missing.

I am hoping that I have learned from my past training mistakes and this one has a quicker end result.

I will keep you posted. End of Daylight Savings Time = So Sleepy.

8 Comments:

At 2:59 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

hey honey - good plan! What are you going to use? And hey .. don't agree about training mistakes - what training mistakes? You trained for a marathon while changing jobs and life happened while you were doing it (and that'll keep happening) and you went out and ran (an extremely challenging) marathon and you did it! No mistakes there I think ;)

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Hooray for Sarasota! I'm sure you'll find running a flatter course to be easier. As for training mistakes, I agree with Petra. There really weren't any if you finished your first marathon, which YOU DID!!

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

Gotta have a plan. That is so awesome you are already committing to another one. I am thinking about it, maybe next fall - will wait to see how this PT stuff goes for my hips first.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

I am so impressed. Your first marathon under your belt and looking toward another. I can't even talk my self into a first one.

I have to admit that I am looking for a Spring half. I like being able to run and compete (if only against myself). It provides me focus for my running!

Congrats, friend!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger David said...

I entered my name in every "free entry" raffle they had in New York at the expo. I was hoping for the one in Scotland in May. I am still waiting but in the meantime Ft. Lauderdale wrote me and offered a free entry into their February 17 A1A Marathon. That made up my mind. Nice and flat along the ocean. A chance to really PR.
Sarasota looks good too, for you.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Wow Maddy, that is so great!!! I know that after the big build up to the first marathon, it is good to have a plan to move on to the next thing.

I agree with the others - you did not make any training mistakes, because you succeeded in finishing your marathon. And you did it with so much stuff going on - you ARE a ROCKSTAR!!!

Of course, now the exciting thing to do is to set a PR! :-) And you are going to do so great!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Runner Leana said...

You picked your next big race? Way to go! It is a great way to stay motivated (although I know you still have Disney coming up in January). You did really well in San Fran - that was a crazy tough course - and for your first the biggest and best accomplishment is finishing.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Well I am behind!

Sarasota -- yay!

I like the idea of scheduling your runs. Good job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home