running

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Women Run the World 15K :: Race Report

Late Friday afternoon, my daughter and I headed out to Wide World of Sport to get my race packet and check out the expo. On the way, I noticed the beginning of scratchy throat. Oh, no! I couldn't be getting sick!

I thought the expo was lacking. Last year there were some big brands with floor space. Champion, who is a pretty big sponsor was there last year and absent this year. New Balance, which was a big favorite with my daughter last year because of the opportunity to play Dance Dance Revolution was also MIA.

There were a lot of smaller brands there, such as my friends from Running Princess. And there were other girly brands there too who had some super cute stuff.

By far the booth with the most action was the Bondi Band booth. As you all know, I am a big fan of my bandannas, but I was lured in and I bought two Bondi Bands, one for me and one for my daughter. I didn't wear it today, but I'll try it out soon. I bet that 30% of the runners today had Bondi Bands on. Amazing! I am going to see if they can find some pink camouflage material and I just might make the switch. Stay tuned...

Friday night and all day yesterday I was on a steady stream of Airborne and Zicam (I should have gone with the nose swabs, the dissolving tablets are tough to choke down)

This morning, I was up just before 4:00 AM. With a 6:15 AM start, I knew I needed to leave here no later than 4:30 AM to beat the road closures and be sure that I had time to stretch and get ready.

I arrived without incident, made my first port-a-potty stop and then began to wander around. I ran into my friend Angie who I ran the last 10 miles at the DeLeon Springs Half Marathon. We talked a bit and then realized that the port-a-potty lines were growing quickly. We got in line and when we were done we made our way to the start. We had to snake our way through the 11:00 minute milers and found our place around the 9:00 minute mile pace. We said our "good lucks" and when the race started, we parted ways with Angie taking quite a lead.



Because I have not been feeling the greatest, I decided to take the first half of the race cautiously. I was moving at a decent pace, but I wasn't pushing too hard. After the turn around near Wide World of Sports we hit the four mile mark. The volunteer called out 38 (something, I can't remember the seconds). I was feeling really good. I thought I could be on pace to not only get a PR, but come in at the 1:30 mark, which was my #1 goal. I decided to pick up the pace a bit.

On days that I have not been running, I have been walking on the treadmill at a good clip (5.0 MPH) at an incline of 8.0 - 10.0. That really helped me to cruise up the off ramps and other inclines that have slowed me down in the past.

We made our way through Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM Studios) and around the boardwalk. We passed a group on the beach participating in a sunrise yoga class.

The course goes through a back area at Epcot and then you pop out into England in the World Showcase. It was really all a blur once I was in Epcot. Before I knew it I was almost all the way around the lake. I remember smelling the Jasmine in China and the next thing I knew, I was headed toward Spaceship Earth. At the nine mile mark, the volunteer called the time and I thought that the PR was within grasp.

I was almost there .3 mile to go and then I really started moving.

I crossed the finish line in 1:28:02 (chip time).

A New PR by seven minutes and six seconds!

I missed Leana today. Next time we'll have to make a plan to meet up before hand. But the race almost snuck up on me this time.

*******************************

Before the race started this morning, it was announced that the 15K is being replaced with a half marathon next March. The Princess Half Marathon. Registration opens tomorrow. I'm all over it!

I was thinking that the Minnie Marathon Weekend would be replaced by a co-ed race. It is just being replaced by a more marketable franchise. Princesses trump Minnie all day long.

15 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Road Warrior said...

That's an unbelievable time, Maddy. Beating your PR by over 7 minutes is amazing. Congratulations!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Marcy said...

WOW!!! Awesome awesome job!! Geez, it seems like everyone is getting PR's. I think you're abotu the 3rd race report I've read that has a PR! CONGRATS!!!

I love Bondi Bands. I wear them all the time. Only downside for me? They leak really bad during long runs and the sweat gets in my eyes LOL

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Way to go Maddy! All that training has paid off. Sounds as though you maintained a nice consistent pace. You smashed your old PR. Nice way to close out the "Minnie 15K".

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Susan said...

WOW, Princess Maddy, a seven minute PR!!!!! You rock!

I bet you can fashion a pink camo band. Fo' sho'!!!!

I am thrilled for you. That is a HUGE PR, you speedster!

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, 7 minutes is HUGE!!! Congrats on your race. The conservative start paid off as did the hill work you've been doing. Nice!

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Way to go, Maddy!!! You really rocked that race :-)

It will be fun to run the inaugural Princess Half. I will have to sign up for it! :-)

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

Wow.. Huge PR! Your training totally paid off.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

Awesome on the PR, and you did it sick! You rock!

Have fun at the half. I like that distance.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Runner Leana said...

Maddy, awesome PR! I thought I saw you at the out and back and I was yelling your name and it either wasn't you, or you couldn't hear me. Glad to hear you had a great race though! I'm not sure about the Princess thing...it is pretty close to marathon weekend and it may be hard to swing two trips so close together. I have to wonder how they think they will get 10,000 runners in such close proximity to the marathon weekend. I understand holding it in March though, just thanks to the weather. I'll think about it though because I love the sound of an inaugural medal... :)

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

I always enjoy reading about your runs. It is as if I were there.

A PR! How cool is that?

Thanks for sharing, Maddy!

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger K80K said...

Congrats on the new PR. That's awesome! I am definitely in for the Princess Half as well.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Petraruns said...

Woot girlfriend! What have you been doing while I've been out gallivanting (and not running) - you've been getting mighty FAST! What a great time and what great mileage you've been ramping up - you are going to be so ready for Chicago! I have missed you and your reports and am thrilled to be back online - it's been too long!

Have a rest and then get ready - we're going to PR in Chicago!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Neese said...

congrats on the PR :o)

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger David said...

All that running and a strategic race paid off for you. That would make me want togo out running again right away.
MGM turned into Hollywood? Who knew?

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Jade Lady said...

Sorry, I've been absent for awhile - first of all - CONGRATSSSSSSSS!! What a great PR.

I'm amazed that u can walk at such a fast pace on a treadmill - and at such an incline - 4 flat is hard for me to keep up! haha...guess that's why you're in much better shape than I.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home