running

Monday, March 31, 2008

My Bandanna

In January of 2007, I invited a bunch of my friends to run the Lady Track Shack 5K in Winter Park. The proceeds from the race help to cover the costs of mammograms for under-privileged women in Central Florida. I wanted to run this race as a tribute my mom, who had breast cancer and passed away in October of 2001.



I wanted to find a way for us to show our solidarity and a way to show that we were running as a group, even if we weren't running together. I have run with bandannas for a long, long time and while I was out and about one day, I found the, now infamous, pink camouflage bandannas. I bought enough for the whole crew and a few extras, in case someone decided late in the game to run with us. I ended up with several extras.

I liked the pink camo because it was girly, but tough.

I have worn one of those pink camouflage bandannas at every race I have run since then.

Saturday morning after I had gone back to my car to drop off my race packet I was headed to meet Chris someone behind me called "Maddy?"

It was my friend Janice who was training for the Dublin Marathon with Team in Training while I was training for San Francisco. She said with that bandanna, she knew it had to be me.

David was also able to find me Saturday morning after the race, he didn't attribute it to the bandanna, but I would bet it made me easy to spot in the crowd. At 5'2, I'm probably pretty easy to miss, but with some pink camo on my head, it's easy to find me.

Jim spotted me too, thanks to the bandanna. And my friend Angie, who I ran the majority of the DeLeon Springs Half Marathon with came over and said, I knew it was you because of your bandanna.

Rest assured peeps, those pink camo bandannas are here to stay. At least until they are thread bare. Then what? Maybe I should see if I can get some more...

*****************************

Early Saturday evening, the sore throat I was feeling when I woke up Saturday morning was developing into a full-blown cold. With many, many doses of Airborne (yes, I truly believe it works) I am feeling a little better. I eeked out 3.25 miles yesterday and 4 miles today for a total of 101.20 miles for the month.

Year to date I have run 220.33. Even with a miserable February (just over 16 miles - for the entire month) I am still on track for my mileage goal of at least 1,000 for the year.

11 Comments:

At 11:03 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I love the bandanna! And I love the story even more. Maybe I'll rock a bandanna in Chi-town! :)

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Brianna said...

Sounds like you have quite the signature for your races - how great that it comes with a personal story. Happy running!

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger jen said...

Love the bandana! Graeat job on your Winter Park Race- so close to a PR. Great pace! Hope you feel better soon. :)

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger nylisa said...

That's fantastic! One thing I love about running is how it helps others even while we're helping ourselves. Great race report on the Winter Park race. I'm sure you would've broken your PR if you weren't feeling under. You'll do it next time!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

Even I don't like pink, your bandanna story is a beautiful one.

And you got to be kidding me: Year to date 220.33. AHHHHHHH...I am yelling to myself!!! How have I gotten so far behind!!! I know I was really sick with a cold and asthma that knocked me out for 3 weeks, but still, I was procrastinating at the beginning of the year!!!! I have exactly a quarter of that...55 miserable miles!!!

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Bev said...

If you ever wanted to go incognito you could just take the bandanna off. It's like your superhero outfit.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Thanks for sharing the story. I couldn't have found you without it. At the "26.2 with Donna-Breast Cancer Marathon", every goddy bag came with a pink bandanna. I ran that race for my friend Donna, who is currently battling breast cancer. I didn't wear mine, but if you check the photo from Winter Park 10K, it's in hand. It is a tremendous inspiration when you think a race is tough. Hope you'll consider running the "26.2 with Donna", next February. Get well soon.

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger David said...

Rest assured it was the pink bandanna that allowed me to find you. It was the one thing in my head I was looking for as I scouted the crowd.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

That bandana is so YOU! And it's a great way for others to find you at a race. Glad you're feeling better (I just woke up with a little sore throat and hope it's nothing). Here's to a new month!!

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Jade Lady said...

What a great idea!

Hope you're doing better!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

I like your thinking...girly but tough. I'm going to have to try a bandannas.

I love the way you are always thinking of others Maddy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home