running

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Shoes and Shock

A few weeks ago, my company announced a contest. A Shape Up contest, in which participants can earn points daily by:

  • Eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables


  • Seven hours of sleep


  • Relax for at least ten minutes


  • Exercise for at least 30 minutes


  • Take care of yourself - Drink water, floss teeth etc...



  • The challenge officially began on Monday - and to date I have earned all of my points!

    Sunday I ran ten miles. I would have normally taken a break on Monday, but because of me desire to get all of my points, I ran anyway. So on Tuesday, my legs were pretty tired.

    So, guess what I did?

    I ran.

    Wednesday, I also ran.

    Today...

    You guessed it, I ran.

    I think I need some alternative cross-training to give myself a break for a day. But still get in some sort of exercise.

    Biking is an option.

    Well...

    In January, I bought a bike, a Trek Y5,- and she needs a name, right Susan? While I have ridden it a few times, I still don't have the shoes for the clipless pedals.

    Swimming is an option.

    Well...

    The pool wasn't maintained to summer standards and now, my husband says he needs to "shock the shit out of it". I'm pretty sure that's a technical term.

    My plan?

    Get some shoes and get some shock and give my legs a day of rest.

    Maybe I need a pull buoy too, huh?

    13 Comments:

    At 11:52 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

    Hey girl - you are very serious about this triathlon thing aren't you? Hardcore! I love your husband's technical approach to the pool - can we get some photographic evidence of him "shocking the shit out of it"? And do post a picture of the no doubt sexy cycling shoes and your pull buoy. You continue to be amazing!

     
    At 12:06 PM, Blogger Marcy said...

    LOL I forget that you live in sunny Florida. Pool days are still a couple months away for us. HAVE FUN!! ;D :D

     
    At 2:15 PM, Blogger Bev said...

    Another tri-blogger. I'm starting to feel some blog pressure to catch the tri bug as well.

     
    At 3:21 PM, Blogger Susan said...

    Haaaaaaaaaaa! I love it!

    I have regular pedals on DAISY, so I can wear my running shoes - for now.

    I, the veteran of a nasty injury, now see the beauty of cross training. Triathlons here I come!!

     
    At 8:53 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

    we are definitely like kids. Given some new tasks out of our daily routine and we feel all excited...

    shock the shit out of the pool cracked me up! it means put gazillions of liters of chemicals.... must be really green!!!!!!

    sincere-lee
    lizzie lee

     
    At 6:06 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

    Lol...your husband sounds very honest! Too funny. I wish it was pool weather here.

    Good luck with your challenge. Those peeps you work with have no idea who they are dealing with. ;-)

     
    At 12:43 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

    Very cool challenge! I hope lots of folks are participating.

    As for the bike shoes, unless you are really serious about wanting performance and efficiency when pedaling, I think it's better to get started riding using just regular workout shoes and platform pedals, with or without toe clips. I found that it takes a while to get used to riding with clipless pedals and if you're not riding fairly often (say, a couple times a week), it may be more cost (to buy the shoes) and frustration than it's worth, IMHO.

     
    At 5:19 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

    sounds like fun. the runners should get double points for anything over 10 miles!


    I got shoes really cheap online and pedals from craigslist. Swapping them out is easy if you watch for the direction of the threads.

     
    At 9:54 AM, Blogger CewTwo said...

    You know, I have to get my bike out of mothballs. I have the Platte River trail nearby and 15-20 miles just seems to fly by! I have never named a bike, though.

    Conscinetious company. Just as you invest your time in them, they want to make sure that their investment in you will pay off also. Innovative!

    Thanks for sharing, Maddy!

     
    At 10:17 PM, Blogger Jim said...

    I have to agree with Shirley. Many of my cycling/tri friends were pushing me toward the clipless. I opted for the "cage" and a pair of old running shoes. It was one less thing for me to worry about getting used to the bike. I still managed to tip over a few times. My bike is back on the road :-)

    Name you bike "Pinky".

     
    At 10:37 PM, Blogger David said...

    Are you sure you didn't write the rules of this contest? I mean, who else could possibly win?

     
    At 5:01 AM, Blogger Drusy said...

    Good luck at Chicago Maddy - a brave woman after last year's fiasco! You've inspired me to get my bike out of the garage and start cycling to the train station again - if it only stops raining.

     
    At 8:12 PM, Blogger Karen said...

    Great job! I have enjoyed reading your blog. I just got on a bike over the past couple of weeks for my first triathlon. Way to go!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home