running

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Busy... Busy... Catching Up

I really don't like going more than a week without posting something... and here I am, working toward a week and a half.

I have been trying to keep up with the blogs and posting comments when I can.

I feel like I have been busy. I have been busy with work and this Wednesday I'm headed back to San Diego for a few days. I have also been working hard to make sure I'm getting seven hours of sleep each night for my contest points. I guess it has taken time away from other things, like writing blog posts.

Tuesday I worked in my remote remote office. Which means instead of working at home, I work from a variety of coffee shops around Orlando. I had lunch plans with my friend Colleen, so after I dropped the kids off at school, I headed to Panera in Altamonte Springs. After lunch I headed to Starbucks in Maitland at the Sheraton North because I had a few meetings.

My next stop was Track Shack for some new shoes. My hip had been bothering me. Apparently, my shoes are good for 325 miles and not much more.

I have been running for the last year or so in the Nike Air Structure Triax+ 10. The new model, the 11, was recently released. I spoke with the gentleman who was helping me about my current shoe, what size I wore, how many miles they had on them and how I was feeling.

He went in the back and came back with the new Nike Air Structure Triax+ 11, and a pair of Asics. He went into the back again and came out with a pair of Mizunos and a pair of New Balance. We went through this process several times ruling out shoes for one reason or another. Finally, we had narrowed our choices down to the orginal Nikes and the Original Asics. I tried one on each foot and then switched. I ended up with the Nikes. It was one of the best shoe buying experiences I have ever had!


My New Kicks (picture courtesy of Zappos)

And don't you just LOVE running in new shoes? It's so refreshing! And it feels so bouncy! This week I have reduced the life of my new shoes by 10% - 33+ miles on the 11's already!

My son's class went to the National Training Center on Friday to compete against six other schools in track events. Stone ran the mile in a respectable 9:09. Here's the thing, he came in fifth place, but I couldn't be prouder if he came in first. He never stopped to walk once. He paced himself and stayed strong the whole time. I was so glad to be there to cheer for him. It was really great!


The NTC Track

And finally, I ran nearly twenty miles this weekend. Yesterday I ran 9.45 on the unofficially named Tavares Trail along Hwy 441 across from Lake Eustis and all the way the Leesburg. It was a nice cool morning and I made the distance in 1:32:52. I felt pretty good about that time.

This morning, I met up with my friend Cheryl. She's running the Country Music Half Marathon next Saturday and she was looking for some support on a ten miler. I told her that I would go, but it might be slow going. I completed 10.48 miles in 1:59:18. Slow going indeed. I didn't figure our trip to EPCOT yesterday afternoon into the equation. We walked and walked and walked...

Despite the miles over the past two days, I feel pretty good. My legs are a little tired, but not awful. I felt good enough to play tennis for a few hours this afternoon.

12 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

Your son did run a great mile!

33 miles.. whoa slow down :) But it does sound like a great store to buy shoes from.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Marcy said...

Sweet kicks chica! I'll have to look at those. I *heart* my Nikes LOL

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Way to go, Stone! That is awesome.

New shoes: I am getting some soon, I hope! Fingers crossed. I look forward to it.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Way to go, Stone! That is awesome.

New shoes: I am getting some soon, I hope! Fingers crossed. I look forward to it.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

That is disappointing to realize. Running 30 miles every week, I am wearing my shoes down on a regular basis. As I (we) train for the Chicago Marathon, it will be 2 pair of shoes before the big event!

Oh well... You only live once.

Oh yeah, Congratulations, Stone!

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger David said...

I love new shoes too.

It's good for a smile for at least two weeks of breaking in or 50 miles, whichever comes first.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

Awesome that your son is running. I loved every one of my daughters XC meets.

Love the kicks. Sounds like you gave them a workout.

BTW - Charlie turned me on to the hotel he booked for Chicago and we booked there yesterday. Things are filling up and I didn't know if you had a room yet. We're at the http://congressplazahotel.reachlocal.net/

It's right at the start. Of course, you probably have family there, no?

ttyl,
Melisa

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Glad to hear you had a good shoe buying exp at Track Shack. And congrats to both you and your son on some awesome running. I am amazed at you both!!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Morgan said...

Congrats on the new shoes - I actually just got fitted this past weekend for the same ones (although, yours are prettier than mine!) :)

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Jim said...

New shoes and a run around the beautiful harbor in San Diego, I'm jealous. Your son had a great run! That NTC complex is beautiful. Nice hill workout around the Citrus Tower! I like Track Shack because they will let you try new shoes with a run around the block. Good luck at the Minnie 15K.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Congrats to Stone on his race, to you on your new shoes and for all those miles this weekend. You are going to kick butt at Mini!!!

Have fun in San Diego! Run by the harbor for me.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Jade Lady said...

I don't know how you do it - you're supermom! I tried, but find it easier to do one thing at a time.

Panera - one of my favorite places to grab breakfast when I visit ShirleyPerly! I wish there was one close by to where I live.

And congrats on the new shoes! I'm a swoosher also! Man, you do go thru shoes quickly!

And, finally - your son did 9:09? How old is he? I can't even do that! That's so cool that he's taking after his mom - and being healthy by running. My daughter also loves to run - she's 3, going on 4.

Glad to be catching up with you - I'm so behind on my post reading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home