running

Sunday, June 08, 2008

An Awkward Conversation

A few weeks ago, I ordered a few items from SwimOutlet.com. A few days later I mentioned my purchase to my mother-in law.

A little background...

  • My in-laws live next door to us

  • My mother-in-law wears hearing aids, but we were in the pool during this conversation so she had a little trouble hearing me.

  • I think she had a few drinky-poos on an empty stomach
  • .

    Me: I ordered a pull buoy.

    Mother-In-Law: You're getting a pool boy?

    Me: No, no, P-U-L-L B-U-O-Y

    Mother-In-Law: Oh. I was going to ask that you let me know when he was coming so I could get out the binoculars.

    She was clearly disappointed.

    Mother-In-Law: What's a pull buoy?

    Me: It's like a piece of foam that you put between your legs to help you focus on your stroke.

    Mother-In-Law: Wow! That sounds better than the pool boy. I want one!

    And she wasn't talking about needing one for swimming.

    Oh, my! Uncomfortable.

    All I was thinking was - Change the subject, change the subject!

    A few minutes later, my husband came up and I relayed the conversation to him. He was horrified. He said "Why would you tell me that?"

    "Dude, I had to share the pain with you. I couldn't keep that all to myself..."

    Awkward.

    SwimOutlet.com sent my order - They must have walked it across the country. I finally get my stuff on Friday. It seems like it took a long time.

    The plan is to include some swimming as cross training as I prepare for the Chicago Marathon.

    I'll let you know how it goes.

    14 Comments:

    At 3:10 PM, Blogger Marcy said...

    OMG OMG OMG EWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I just had a mental picture of having that convo with my MIL. I need to throw up now LOL. You poor, poor thing!

     
    At 5:07 PM, Blogger Petraruns said...

    Yup. I'd be having that conversation with my MIL as well. My husband wouldn't even be shocked.. But for what it's worth pullbuoys are amazing. Goodbye bingowings..

     
    At 7:43 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

    That's hilarious!!! Your MIL sounds like a real character.

     
    At 8:16 PM, Blogger Jade Lady said...

    How funny!!!! Too funny! It's got to be a skit!...no, it's real? Well, at least, she's got some spunk!


    Ok, I was wondering what in the world that photo was when I first landed on your post! I recall ShirleyPerly talking about it, but never saw it myself, til now..thanks for the education.

     
    At 9:17 PM, Blogger Bev said...

    What a hoot! You better keep your eye on Granny.

     
    At 3:02 PM, Blogger Runner Leana said...

    Oh my god....awkward!!!!!! You had me laughing out loud!!!

     
    At 6:46 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

    I'm still laughing! What a funny thing to have happen!

    And... You shared it!

    Very, very funny! Thanks for sharing!

     
    At 7:50 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

    Hmm, I think you MIL has it wrong. A pull boy would be much better :) ha ha. Kidding.

     
    At 9:57 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

    OMG, that is SOOOOO funny! I may never look at my pull buoy the same ever :-)

    Great to hear you're going to try swimming as XT!

     
    At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Love her, I want to go drink with your mother-in-law

     
    At 5:09 PM, Blogger Carly said...

    LMAO! I shudder at the thought of that coming out of my MILs mouth.

    BUT....that sounds just like something my own mother would say. Ummm still gross.

     
    At 9:02 PM, Blogger David said...

    Cracking me up.

     
    At 11:49 PM, Blogger Susan said...

    Yikes!

    Seriously, I could NOT live next door to my mother-in-law.

     
    At 9:52 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

    That is TOO funny!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home