running

Monday, June 02, 2008

Answers and Updates

My last post got a few questions. I thought I would take a minute and provide the answers:

Jade Lady asked what made me decide to try yoga and what kind I'm doing.

I decided to try yoga for a few reasons:

  • I am not very good at stretching and I thought it might help.


  • POM has had some great success with racing after some yoga.


  • I tried some videos years ago and I liked it, but I never knew if I was doing it right, so I thought if I was in front of a teacher who would correct me, it couldn't hurt.


  • The class I'm taking is Prem Yoga. It's similar to Kripalu Yoga.

    Debbie's doctor wants her to do some yoga, but she is worried about embarrassing herself. I say just do it. You'll feel so good at the end of the class! And, you'll be more bendy!

    Charlie asked if I felt that biking was a good compliment to the running program.

    I really do think it's a good compliment to running. It's so much easier when you're in shape and you're not worn out right off the bat. I have a bike trainer, so my biking has been done in the comfort of my living room after the kids go to sleep.

    On a side note, between my treadmill running and my indoor biking, I promise I am not agoraphobic. Sometimes, you have to do whatever it takes to get those workouts in.


    May was another record mileage month for me with 145.28 miles. I continue to feel good and I'm looking forward to getting official training underway next week.

    My run today put me just over 500 miles for the year.



    I was especially happy about reaching the milestone on June 2nd. My goal for the year was 100 miles per month. In February, due to a hectic work schedule and the flu, I logged 16.13 miles for the entire month. Even so, I seem to be just two days off of my original goal.

    Vacation Plan

    I am excited about our upcoming summer vacation. The second week of marathon training I will be in Ormond-by-the-Sea. We are renting a condo about a mile from where I lived from the time I was 12 until I was almost 17 when my family moved to Orlando. My plan?

  • Early morning runs on the beach.


  • Eat well. With a full kitchen, and a grocery store less than a mile a way, what's stopping me?


  • Relax.


  • Read a book. Maybe one that Running Geezer recommended.

  • Not work.


  • Did I mention, relax?
  • 10 Comments:

    At 12:57 AM, Blogger akshaye said...

    Congratulations on 500! Thats some terrific mileage for the year so far.
    Have fun on the upcoming vacation.

     
    At 8:15 AM, Blogger Marcy said...

    I should just suck it up and do a Yoga class as well. All the vids and stuff at home just doesn't really cut it for me. I pretty much know I'm not doing it right LMAO!

     
    At 12:15 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

    Wow you are crankin' on the mileage. Congrats! That vacation sounds perfect, too.

     
    At 1:27 PM, Blogger RunToTheFinish said...

    I started doing yoga and at first it was hard to get my runner's brain to slow down, but it's so worth it. I think I'll do some tonight now that you've mentioned it!

     
    At 7:48 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

    500 miles, WOW! That's a LOT more than I've run this year.

    Great to hear about your yoga-ing. I need to get back to doing more stretching and strength training. I've been slacking the past month. Thanks for reminding me!!

     
    At 7:56 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

    500!! Good mileage and a great mile marker for your resolution!

    Thanks for the cross training answer! I appreciate it!

    Hang in there!

    See you in Chicago! Or at least your back half as you go running past me!

    BTW... I think that all of us should wear camo bandanas. I just don't want to wear a pink one!

     
    At 10:47 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

    My hero!!!!! 500 miles...in less than half a year !!!!!!! Amazing Maddy, what a commitment!! You will make the 1,000. Nothing can stop you...

    Do I need to say: Keep Running?

    sincere-lee
    lizzie lee

     
    At 2:19 PM, Blogger Susan said...

    Hey! I want a vacation like that!!!

     
    At 2:25 PM, Blogger Susan said...

    AND, congrats on the 500!

     
    At 12:08 AM, Blogger Jade Lady said...

    Awesome - 500! Sounds like a wonderful vacation! Enjoy! Hey, I'm tagging you as the new IT GIRL - see my blog post 6/9.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home