Sunday, May 11, 2008

What a Weekend!

Late last week I got an email from my friend Cheryl. We usually get together on most weekends to get out long runs in. She asked if I would be interested in running the I-Drive 5K Run I thought, why not... We both registered by last Saturday to take advantage of the price break.

The plan was to run the race and then get some more miles in after the race. I had such a good time running I-Drive with Irish Blue when she was in town, I was looking forward to another spin around that area.

Saturday morning I picked Cheryl up at 5:30 AM. I am not a fan of packet pick-up on race day so I wanted to be sure we were early enough to get out packets and stow the extra packet stuff back at the car.

Between the lack of traffic and nearly the entire route being highways, we were there in no time and had our packets in hand, numbers pinned in place and a potty stop by 6:35.

Race time wasn't until 7:30 and we were already begining to feel the heat of the day working it's way into the morning. Cheryl asked what I wanted to do. I told her we should run a two miles before the race to beat the heat after. She agreed.

We headed out and we returned in 19:19 with 2.08 miles under our belts.

We waited a bit and then lined up for the start of the race. It was realy getting warm.

The course went South down International Drive for and then we hung a left. At the first mile marker the Orange County Fire Department had their chopper parked in the median. It was cool to see it that close.

We then took a right on Universal Boulevard. We hit the water stop, went a little further and then turned back. On my way back, coming toward me, not yet to the turn around point, there were about 20 Orange County Firemen in gear running in formation. The leader had a flag and was calling a cadence and the firefighters following him were calling back to him. It was really cool to see. And when you consider the humidty it was something else.

I continued on and the course went past our first turn and then turned into the back entrance of Pointe Orlando. The end of the course was really strange because the last .1 mile was almost like an alley and there were speed bumps. The speed bumps kind of jacked with my stride because I was trying hard to avoid them. It was just weird.

It was so hot. The kind of race David would call a death march. I would totally agree with him.

My time: 28:15.

Did I mention it was hot?

After the race, I seriously thought I could have thrown up. I ate a bagel and a banana and I was feeling better. But... Cheryl and I decided it was just too hot to run anymore. We packed it in and headed home.

Yesterday afternoon, my family and I headed to my sister-in-law's house in New Port Richey. Becuase of the heat on Saturday I planned to get to bed at a decent time so I could try to get a run in before the heat was in full force.

I was out the door by 6:30 and I ran 6.03 miles in 58:23. It was hot, but there were some nice breezes coming from the canals and my brief minute in front of the Gulf of Mexico. It was a really nice, peaceful run. There wasn't a lot of traffic and not a lot of people out and about.

It was a nice way to close out the running this week and it was a great start to a great Mother's Day.

This coming week is another trip to San Diego! After the humidity I have felt the later part of this week, I cannot wait for my "Harbor Run" this Thursday!


At 12:16 AM, Blogger akshaye said...

Nice time.. although I bet the heat shaved off a couple of minutes. Have a great week!

At 7:17 AM, Blogger Marcy said...

Dang sounds brutal. Nice time though, chica ;D ;D

At 5:36 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Well, your death march was much faster than my death march this weekend. Way to go in the heat!

I'm sure running in San Diego will feel wonderful. Lucky you!!

At 7:50 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

Sometimes a race is just fun to run. Not having run many so far, I like it when there are are diversions.
I live a block from a Trauma Center hospital so I doubt the helicopter would have been interesting (after all, take offs and landings at 4:00 AM are not), but seeing the firemen running in full gear calling cadence would have been cool(figuratively speaking)!

The only thing that would have looked better would have been two young ladies running a race together.

Thanks for the kind words, Maddie! You are a good friend!

And just as an aside - Did your sister take up running?

At 8:03 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Great job in the 5K. We did a training run at 6:00am and it was hot. Good thing this wasn't the Minnie 15K weekend! I've heard many comments about the finish of that race. You're right it is an alley. Keep up the good work. enjoy San Diego.

At 5:26 PM, Blogger Runner Leana said...

Sounds like you got some good running in despite the heat. I've heard people say that it was a good thing the Minnie was last weekend as opposed to this weekend because I guess it was a lot hotter. Have a great time in San Diego!

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I can imagine that heat, believe me!

Greetings from TN.

Have a great running experience in SD!

At 4:26 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

What a great report and good for you for slipping in another race - well done on the experience! Nice time as well. Can't imagine the heat right now - here it's gone right back to winter! Still, heading out for 5M this morning and I'll be back in touch. Hope SD was good!

At 11:15 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

Congrats on your 5k... It's hot here in Cali too. I miss my Seattle's temp!!!!!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home