running

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Now It's the Other Hip

We have a weekly Tuesday morning meeting at my office. Everyone gathers in the common area and we run through the weekly agenda. Yesterday, I was fighting a migrane (It's still lurking but staying quiet), so I sat on the floor - It's a casual office and it's not uncommon.

When the meeting was over, one of my peers said, you look like you're in pain. I told her about the headache, and she said it looked like it hurt when I was standing up.

Indeed, the left hip has been protesting movement the past few days.




I found this exceprt on the UCONN Sports Medicine Site

"Aside from arthritis, hip problems occur as a result of muscle strains, hip bursitis, and tears of the labrum. Muscle strains (groin pulls) are often debilitating and require lengthy rehab time only to recur regularly. Hip bursitis is the inflammation within a bursa on the outside or lateral aspect of the hip. This is often associated with patellofemoral problems (kneecap), and both are caused by a tight iliotibial band (ITB). Stretching and rest usually are sufficient to resolve the discomfort."

Wow! Caused by kneecap problems? A tight ITB? I can believe it. I will admit, I don't strech as much as I should. Apparently I need to. In the long run (no pun intended) it would probably cause me less heartache.

I have run some this week, not near what I think I need to do, but I would prefer to rest it a little and get a long, easy run in this weekend.

7 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Get your rest, my friend! We can run together (in spirit) this weekend. I WILL - by golly - run 10 miles.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger mrjwhit~ said...

Hope this passes soon and quickly.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

I think the rest is a great idea! Stretching is always a good thing to do.

And I always like the nice easy long runs. Maybe we can run with you - how far are you going? Not sure I am up to 10 miles like Susan but I think I am about ready for 7-8 miles.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Sorry to hear about your migraine and your hip. I've not had ITB issues but occasional anchilles tendonitis flare-ups and a major pain in the butt that lasted like 6 months (piriformis syndrome?) have convinced me that I need to stretch regularly.

Hope your run this weekend goes well.

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

Hey Maddy, sounds like most of us are terrible at stretching.. me included. I used to suffer terribly with my ITB. There's some great specific stretches out there on the internet to help stretch it, physio helped but ultimately I have tried to change my running style a bit - posture-wise - and it has stopped most of my knee, shin and ITB problems. ChiRunning worked for me but there's various options out there. Point is - if you want to run for a long time you've probably got to get some gait analysis and work on form.. Boring and tedious - I know. Let us know how you get on!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

I've also been having some stiffness in my hip and I've encorporated more stretching and better recovery fluid intake (cytromax).

For what it's worth, my doctor (ortho) told me this is sometimes caused by running on the same side of the street all the time. The street is slanted toward the edge to allow for proper drainage, and so when you run on the left side of the street, your left leg is lower than your right, causing hip and back pain. I try to switch to the other side when there's not much traffic.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger David said...

I run in the middle of the street whenevr I can.
If I do not stretch after every run, I have learned to expect soreness and pain; especially ITB related knee and hip pain.
Just DO IT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home