running

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Mystery Text Message

Tonight at 7:51 I was faced with a cunundrum. Someone had sent me a cryptic text message and I didn't know who it was from. The message:
Id rather be running. Flying home.

Weird.

The sender assumed I should know who it was.

I have met my friend Marathon Chris a few times and I can't remember if we exchanged phone numbers. I think I would have programmed her number into my phone if I had it - because I would have needed to call her if I couldn't find her at a race. But she is in San Diego. It could have been her...


I have also met my friend David at a race. Coincidentally, I had just accepted a Facebook invitation to be his "friend". David is on vacation in Rhode Island (check out his blog for some amazing pictures and a vacation I am envious of). Was David cruising through facebook waiting for his plane and decided to send me a text message? It could have been him.

I replied back:

Have a safe trip. I didn't know who it was.

Another message:

Wilco. Will be good to be back w peeps.


Hmmm. Who was it?

Then it occured to me. Ross.

Ross was in Virgina on company business and is due back in the "office" tomorrow.

Mystery solved.

This is what I thought was cool about this:

"Id rather be running".

I know three people (with a 407 area code) that are spread out accross the country right now who that could have been.

I also know others all over the country - all over the world, Arkansas, Ohio, New York, Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, and even England and Scotland that that message could have come from.

Wow!

6 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger CewTwo said...

Sometimes a mini-mystery can make all of the difference. A little excitement in an everyday routine.

Do let us know when you find out whom it was!

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay pink bandannas!! arent u glad we introduced you to text messaging? ;o)

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Susan said...

That is so cool!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

That's awesome! My sister turned me on to texting and my husband is none too happy with us. ;-) It's a little addictive, isn't it?

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger akshaye said...

aint it great to know so many runners!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Well it turned out that on Wed evening I found out that I was heading home. But I don't think I have your number handy to text you...

As it turns out, I thought I was going to have to stay longer in San Diego and was planning where I was going to run this weekend - but instead I got to surprise my kids last night and come home a couple of days early.

Back out in the humidity again :-)
That is cool that you have friends far and wide!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home