running

Thursday, July 19, 2007

OUCH!

Midway through week ten and it hasn't been a good one so far.

My kids left early Monday morning with my in-laws to go to the Western North Carolina Mountains. I spent early Monday morning making sure that teeth were brushed, hair was done, and those tooth and hair brushes were packed etc...

I made a decision that I would make up my Monday run. Tuesday morning went as planned. 5 miles. Wednesday is supposed to be my cross-training day. Since I was on vacation, my cross-training has disappeared. I need to get back into that... I was thinking that I would make up that Monday run on Wednesday. The morning run didn't happen. I'm not as tired as I have been, but I have been up later than normal... Arrrgh.



The plan was to run when I got home. With the torrential downpour / thunderstorm in Downtown Orlando didn't even get me to the parking garage until 6:30 PM. I was starving when I got home. As you probably guessed, it didn't happen. I was thinking I could break up the missed run over the next two days.

Last night I rolled over in bed and felt so much pain in my right hip, that I actually screamed out in pain. I got up, hobbled to the kitchen and took some Advil. I got to the foot of the bed and I couldn't move. Darrell said, What are you doing?"

I was hurting so bad, I couldn't move. I couldn't lay down. It was so bad I was crying.

I begged and pleaded my way into the chiropractor's office. She said my hip was really jammed in there. she also said my neck was tighter than a bow string. I feel much better now. Whew!

She suggested I plan on seven miles instead of 14 on Saturday. She suggested a loop instead of an out and back so if I feel good at mile seven, I can keep going. I'm thinking it will be "Treadmill Saturday".

She asked me how many miles I had on my shoes. Are you ready for this?

450 miles! It really seems like I just bought them.

She told me Do not pass go, do not collect $200. GO GET NEW SHOES NOW!!!!

I couldnt make it to Orlando today (the doctor's appointment meant I worked from home). So tomorrow, it will be new shoes time.

I'm going to try hard to not beat myself up over these missed runs. I need to be healthy to run, and I doubt the ten miles I missed this week are going to blow my whole program. I know missing runs cannot continue, but after the new shoes, I'll be ready to get back to business.

6 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Wow - rough week. Hang in there. The shoes can make SUCH a difference. I know you are really hooked on Track Shack, but you might consider a gait analysis at Fleet Feet. Then you know you are getting into the right shoes. Just a thought. If you have a brand that has worked well - the the purchase is pretty straight forward.

Hang in there, give the hip a break. Don't beat yourself up - you will do just fine :-)

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger akshaye said...

tough week.. glad you feeling better.
and good advice on the shoes. I believe its 400 miles and then you should switch

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Holy Moly - if it's not one thing, it's ten. Take care of yourself, SuperWoman! And for Pete's sake, get some new shoes!

Get better. I am rooting for ya!

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger David said...

Fleet Feet is clsoer to where you live so you may want to consider that; and Track Shack can give you analysis too.

Don't sweat the lost runs. You have plenty of time to get NEW shoes and return to normal training.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Maddy,
Isn't it amazing how we KNOW we need the reast and how good it really is for us, but we never really DO it? Hang in there.... And thanks for the great update on The Extra Mile Podcast!! Every long run is your longest EVER now!! SWEET!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger CewTwo said...

Wow! So sorry that you weren't feeling good. It is never pleasant when a thing like that occurs.

I have to look for the latest "The Extra Mile" podcast now! How exciting!

I agree. Rest is important, but it does cut into the running time! But hey. Your body is trying to tell you something!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home