running

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Best Week Ever

Okay, so maybe it wasn't the "Best Week Ever" But, last week would definitely make the top 10 list!

In non-running related news ::

I was offered and accepted a job! It was the #1 on my list and I am so incredibly excited about it!

My official start date is Thursday and next Sunday afternoon I will be headed to San Diego for a few days. In running related news it will be the second time this summer that a member of our running crew has been to San Diego - Although I will not have a long run scheduled while I'm there. A few five milers and an eight miler. I think it'll be awesome!

On with running news!



Because I had missed a few long runs while in my unemployed funk, the TNT running coach suggested that I back down from the intermediate plan. That put me at a 17 mile run for yesterday. And that was my plan...

We were at the Seminole Wekiva Trail again, this time headed toward Sanford for the first leg. I was running with my friend Jim, who is training for the Dublin Marathon on October 29th. He was running his scheduled twenty miles. He said he wasn't looking forward to the last half of the run which would be mostly on his own.

Jim and I have a similar pace, and honestly, I wasn't looking forward to my turn around point which would mean the last three or four miles would be on my own. I told Jim that if I was feeling good I would run the twenty with him. I was actually feeling great, we dug deep and at the end of the run my iPod said 21.09 miles.

We had some great conversation and it was a really nice run. At the end there was little talking, but there was a nice peaceful camaraderie between us.

Yesterday, by far, was my longest run ever. And it felt great!

I was having some concerns if I had it in me to complete the distance. Without a doubt, I now know that I do. I think that I may have readjust my goal. I never stopped my watch or my iPod at the water stops - those 21 miles took 4:01:00. We'll see on race day how that all shakes out.

11 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger Petraruns said...

Maddy - my turn to tell you you are a ROCKSTAR! Job? Done! 21 mile run instead of 17? Done! Fantastic stuff - very inspiring! Enjoy San Diego,
All the best, Petra

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

WOW Mady WOW!!!!! Rockstar indeed! I wish I had that day!!!!

Enjoy AND POST from San Diego.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Woo hoo! Congrats on the job and on the incredible run!!!! I think the mojo is definitely back! :-)

Enjoy the running in San Diego. I highly recommend the Pacific Beach pier. Interesting sites and nice place to run.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Arcane said...

congrats on the new job!

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger peter said...

What a gift you gave your friend by running that extra lonely 4 miles with him. It's something you'll remember for a long time. Two years ago I ran a 20 with a friend who was having trouble near her first marathon and besides her gratitude, it's a run I still fondly remember because of the camaraderie, as you say, that we felt even though it was an incredibly cold, windy and bitter day.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Excellent on both counts -- CONGRATS!!!

San Diego is a great place to run (I went to grad school there). There is the PB boardwalk that Chris mentioned as well as bike path around Mission Bay, which is nearby, and many other paths for runners/bikers in San Diego Valley as well as La Jolla. And the weather, you'll love it!

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

Maddy, a great new job and a great run. Girl, go buy a lotto ticket!

Congratulations!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger nylisa said...

Congrats on the new job and great going on the longest run ever! Sounds like it was a good weekend!

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger CewTwo said...

21 miles! A great run!

I cannot imagine myself running a marathon. It just seems so very daunting. You give us doubters some extra fuel for the fire that burns within us!

Congrats! Both on the run and on the job!

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger David said...

woo hoo. a best week ever for the books! good job.

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

just wanted to check in and see how the first day went superwoman? and we'll have to share a jar of herring one of these days.. As for fantastic San Fran food - get yourself a reservation at Chez Panisse! a foodie's dream..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home