running

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Where I Run

I brought my camera with me this morning for my long run on the South Lake Trail in Clermont, Florida.

I have been thinking about this for quite a while, but two weeks ago when we were out there, I forgot it at home. Last week we were at the Seminole Wekiva Trail in Lake Mary, and while it is very pretty, it's just not very interesting.

I didn't take any pictures until we were about six miles out because we got started at 5:45 AM and it was D-A-R-K!!!


This is Skyview Drive. Big hills are an oddity in Florida, but Clermont is full of them, this might be the biggest one.


The Payoff! When we get to the top of the hill we hang a left into a cul-du-sac and get an awesome view of the sun coming up over Lake Apopka. You can see it glistening on the horizon The sun is coming up a bit later, so unfortunately we were on our way again before it was in full effect. It's still a beautiful sight!


Me, Cheryl and Yamille. Notice the condensation on my camera lens. It was heating up!


The course is filled with rolling hills. When I got to the top of a hill in the far distance, I could see hot air balloons. You probably can't see them (maybe if you click on the picture?) but trust me they're there. Pretty cool!


This was around mile ten. It's a pretty good representation of what the trail looks like. Another part of the trail follows Old Highway 50 and is now the gateway to a lot of developments. There are some new oak trees and a lot of brick walls and fences.

The hills are extremely tough for me. It wasn't my best run of all time. I chose not to finish the remaining few miles that were scheduled. We go right past our cars. And there is a water stop there. It's just too easy to be done with it. And I was struggling toward the end.

I hope you enjoy this little snapshot into my morning.

9 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Thanks for the tour, Maddy!!! I was just thinking I needed to do that for my running trek as well :-)

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

That looks gorgeous out there - and you're getting out there nice and early (thought of you this morning when I was running at 6am - thought you'd already have been out there..)
Good luck in SD!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Marathon Maritza said...

Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing!

I know the hills are tough, but you will be so glad you did them come October in SF.

Can't wait to make a sign for you for Mile 16!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

Those hills look tough, but the pics are great. It's neat to see where people run. Thanks Maddy!

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Gorgeous! You make me want to take a tour of Florida.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

I saw the balloons as little dots above the horizon! How cool is that?

Thanks for sharing the run with us! It is a very exciting way to share each others experiences!

I do have to admit, though, that the last run I made with my camera, the lanyard came apart and the camera dropped. It was OK, though!

Good trail to run on!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Great photos, Maddy! I think Buckhill may be the steepest hill in Clermont, though perhaps not as long. I know a lot of folks do hill repeats on it and remember nearly falling off my bike going up it during a Horrible Hundred ride.

You'll definitely be glad you ran hills in training for Nike 26.2. Keep up the good work!!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

Beautiful run! :)

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger David said...

looks like Central Florida to me. The hills shall make you strong and fast. They are your friend. Do not avoid them. Attack them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home