running

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Are you a Long Distance Runner?

Last week didn't turn out quite like I had planned. I was going to get out and run before our Thanksgiving meal. I never made it. Friday, I wanted to get a few miles in before we headed to Sarasota. I remembered Thursday afternoon that I was supposed to go check on my friend's cat while she was out of town. By the time I got home from checking on the cat, I didn't have time. We needed to be on the road no later than noon. So maybe when we got home Sunday I could get some miles in. Nope. I was exhausted.

This is turning into a better week already. Only one minor snafu. I forgot I had a doctor's appointment this morning, which means I couldn't run in the afternoon like I have been doing. I should have gotten up this morning to run, but I really didn't think about it until it was too late.

The doctor's appointment was just about becoming an established patient. It occured to me that now that I"m not in Orlando most every day for work, I didn't rally have a doctor.



The tech weighed me, measured me (I'm a half inch taller than I thought) and then he took my blood pressure and resting heart rate. While he was writing the results on my chart he said, "Are you a long distance runner?"

I thought for sure my necklace clued him in. He said he hadn't noticed my necklace. I told him I was indeed a long distance runner and asked him how he knew. He said based on my blood pressure and my resting heart rate, he knew something was up. My blood pressure is 100 / 68 and my resting heart rate is 64 beats per minute. This running thing must be working.


Tomorrow I'm headed to the Track Shack to pick up my race packet for the OUC Half Marathon. I'm getting excited about the race for a few reasons. Marathon Chris and her husband will be running the race also. I hope I can see them! Susan will be running the St. Jude's Marathon in Memphis at the same time. Shirley will be running the Las Vegas Marathon Saturday morning also. Even though we'll be at separate races (with the exception of Chris) we'll all be running together. I will be wearing my Pray for Elijah band during the race to celebrate his birthday!

The weather looks like it will be a little cooler than last year. With a low of 62 degrees and a high of 79 degrees, it's gonna be great!

6 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Looking forward to running OUC this weekend. I hope I can catch up on rest from this very busy week. I didn't do as much running as I wanted - but my poor feet struggled with the conference activity.

We will definitely hook up - I will email you.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Excellent results at the doctor's office! You won't believe this... but my heartrate always spikes while I am there, even though at home it is excellent like yours! So I have never been asked if I am a runner....

Good luck this weekend!

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Road Warrior said...

That's a great thing re. the doctor, Maddy. My blood pressure/heart rate dropped dramatically from what it was in the past, and it has everything to do with the fitness.

Don't worry about those missed runs. You're training well otherwise and deserve to miss a couple of days for other life craziness.

Good luck on the race. We'll look forward to your report!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

My race is actually Sunday but I'll be thinking of you, Chris and Susan on Saturday on my way to Vegas. I'm sure you'll run just fine despite the missed runs. Best of luck!!

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger David said...

Practically any condition will be better than last year's OUC death march. Good luck.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

Good luck with the race Maddy!

Your doctor's appt really inspired me. Those are some awesome vitals girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home