running

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Takin' it To the Streets

One of the things I learned while training for San Francisco is that I really like to run my long runs outside. Let's face it, I'm not a machine and three, hours give or take, is more than I want to spend on the treadmill. Don't get me wrong, I do love my treadmill, but outside is pretty nice too.

Saturday I had 14 miles to run. Friday afternoon I was trying to figure out where I could run those 14 miles. Last time I ran the Tavares Trail I went out four miles. I know that less than three miles further, where I would then be in Leesburg and on the sidewalk, or by the airport where there is road construction and no sidewalk. It wasn't what I wanted to do.

I decided to call my friend Cheryl. We roomed together in San Francisco and we have run many long runs together. Cheryl is training for the Disney full and she told me she had 16 miles to run. I was faced with a decision. Run 14 miles by myself or add two additional miles and run with Cheryl. I opted to run with Cheryl.

We went to the Seminole Wekiva Trail and ran from Lake Mary to Altamonte Springs. I started slowing down at about mile 13 and stopped to walk a few times. Sometimes I feel like I can run forever, other times, not so much. Which leads me to believe that I might have been better off sticking with the 14 I had planned. But the company was nice.

I was debating running the Thanksgiving 10 miler in Deland tomorrow. But I have decided not to. We made a last minute decision to visit with some friends near Sarasota over the weekend. We'll be leaving hear Friday afternoon. That means I will rearrange the remaining runs on my schedule for this week. Tomorrow morning I will most likely run my 14 miles intended for Saturday. Somewhere. Outside.

There has been very little talk about the OUC Half. It is rapidly approaching. A week from Saturday. I will be running it, as will Marathon Chris. Anyone else going to be there? Last Year it was like a summer's day. 81 degrees when I finished. It was a disappointing race. And I never got into a groove. By mile three I knew I was in store for another difficult ten miles.

This year, I'm hoping for cooler temperatures and finding my groove before mile three.

11 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger akshaye said...

the treadmill is ok for something quick.. but there is no way I could be on that for so long. Specially since you got such decent weather year round! Nice run.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Gosh, I need to get motivated to get outside running like you. The past few days have been crazy. Thank goodness I signed up for the Deland 10-miler.

Happy Thanksgiving and hope OUC will be cooler this year. I'll be rooting for you from Vegas!

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Petraruns said...

I just checked out Drusy's YouTube suggestion and it's hilarious! Must see!

As for treadmill running - I'm with you Maddy. I'm doing some of it at the moment as it gets light so late in the morning and dark so early in the evening but it's much harder. So much more boring...

Well done on the 16 miler - you're doing really well. Good luck in your half next week!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger David said...

I think the long run Thursday will be perfect timing. Taper down to the half from there. Pray for cool temps and run steady and hard at the end. I'll be in Baltimore.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

I am so impressed that you are not taking more of a taper. Makes me feel so lazy.

Sorry, but I am a traditionalist and will devote my Thuanksgi8ving to a minor run and a major feedbag. We got snow last night, but I'm still going to try to smoke a turkey breast (and some baby back ribs on the side).

Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Maddy!

Way to stick with Cheryl for the 16 miles. I'm sure she appreciated it!

You and Chris can both run the OUC Half and think of me gicing the streets of Memphis all I've got at the same time! HA!

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Runner Leana said...

Good job on your 16 miler! I'm sure having the company helped. I've sort of been missing that lately, especially since I seem to keep running the same route over and over. So tomorrow I'll branch out and run somewhere I've never been before.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

hey.. just saw your tag. Will post soon!

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Way to go on that 16 miler!!! We will have to figure out how we are going to hook up for OUC. I know how to find you with the pink bandana - haven't thought about what to wear (or even about running a half marathon next weekend).

Will touch base sometime this week. My hubby will be running it as well.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

Have fun running with Chris. It's so cool that you can meet up like that.

I hate my treadmill, which is a problem in Ohio in winter. Hasn't been an issue yet, but not sure what I'll do in January.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

Maddy, I am with you. The max I ran in a treadmill is 8 miles, and I can't imagine running 14!!! I'd plea insanity. That's why I am planning for the winter on working only shape and speed, instead of endurance. Between the darkness, the cold, the rain, possible snow, I am not inclined to work long distances for a while.

sincere-lee
lizzie lee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home