running

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Quest for the Harbor

At the beginning of September, I made my first trip to San Diego. When I went out for my morning runs, I stuck mainly to the Old Town area because it was suggested by the front desk clerk at my hotel and it was pretty close. My last day in San Diego in September I made an attempt to find the Harbor. I wanted to see the water, but the route I had planned on the tourist hotel map led me to a freeway onramp and I was unsure how to get to there. I ended up doubling back and headed to Old Town afterall.

Yesterday morning, I was unsure if I could find the harbor and I wasn't sure I had time to look for it. I headed to the familiar Old Town. I ran just over 4 miles through Old Town and the Presidio Hills Golf Course. It's a little cooler here than I expected it to be, but I was comforatble in my long sleeve tech shirt (now I'm really wishing I would have run the reindeer run last Saturday for another long sleeve shirt)

This morning I was determined. I was going to dind the harbor. A few people at my office gave me directions, and then I planned my route on Google Maps so with little effort I navigated my way through the streets. When I arrived at the street where I had planned to turn, traffic was backing up becuase a freight train was lumbering along. I continued down the street I was on. I figured the train would have to pass me soon. I kept going and the train was still there. Eventually the train had passed, but I wasn't sure where I was. I decided to turn on the next trhough street. I asked a man if I was on the right track and he told me I would need to take a left and I would be there. I had found the harbor!



I ran down to the USS Midway and then circled back and passed the Star of India.

It was an amazing, wonderful run. I returned to the hotel with a smidge more than six miles in 56:57. A 9.27 pace. I feel some speed returning

10 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Speed indeed! (hey that rhymes)

What a lovely way to see a city, too!

Safe travels, Maddy.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

Ahhhhhhhhh San Diego...
they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger akshaye said...

Nice run.. gorgeous snap!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Congrats on a successful San Diego harbor run....and also on the speed :-)

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

So glad you were able to find the harbor, definitely a nice place to run. Great pace!

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger David said...

I love running out of town. SD sounds great.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

As I sit here surrounded by 8 inches of snow and ice, home with the kids and stranded, I realize I NEED A VACATION to someplace w-a-r-m, sunny, and fun.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Runner Leana said...

Nice run - it looks gorgeous out there!

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

HI!!!!!!!!! Just a quick note to say Hi and Merry Xmas. I am in Thailand having terrible time laying on white sandy beaches with my beautiful daughter. The sun is awesome not to mention the tan we got.

Take care, and I'll be back on January to start the 2008 running journey...

Thanks for the friendship

sincere-lee
lizzie lee

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger CewTwo said...

What a fun way to explore a city. I watched an article on TV recently (The Travel Channel?) where there were running tours of Rome and other European cities. I thionk attending one of those would be a kick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home