running

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Race Report :: 8 on the 8th - errrr 9th

I thought about the Reindeer Run, but it just wasn't to be. I had waited all week debating back and forth about registering. As it turned out, it was probably a good thing.

Friday night, in preparation for my trip this week, I had an appointment for a haircut - I lost three inches, but if you didn't know, you couldn't tell. I didn't get home until about 9:30 PM

Because my husband had plans on Saturday morning (He's only held off on any sort of Saturday morning plan since at least May) I was home and I thought I might do a little house cleaning and run about ten miles as a part of my 8 on the 8th. At 10:45, I remembered my son had been invited to a birthday party that started at noon. That meant no run for Saturday morning.

Before I knew it, the day was gone. I knew that the Race Director, the awesome Nancy was following the on or about rule. So today, Sunday, would be my day.

I jumped on the treadmill just past 10:30. It was heating up and the room was getting hot. My plan was that I would run at least eight miles and ten if I was feeling it. By mile three I had decided that I would be done with eight.


Half way point

I had my husband snap a picture for an "official" race photo. When I run on the treadmill, it is almost always in a sports bra and shorts. But, I have to tell you, no one needs to see that. The photo has been censored for sensitive eyes.

When I reached the 6.5 mile mark, I kicked up the speed a little bit. I felt I had it in me to go faster and I wanted to get the first seven miles run in less than an hour. I bumped up the speed one more time and finished the eight miles in 1:07:42.

There really isn't a lot to report when you run on a treadmill. The TV was on, but I was listening to my iPod. I know that a lot of running friends have a certain amount of "dread" for the treadmill, but I don't mind it at all. Although it does make for a drab race report

9 Comments:

At 10:15 PM, Blogger Bob A said...

Maddy -- 8 miles on the dreadmill is no small feat. I've never managed more than 4.5 in one stretch and thought I was going to die. Congrats on the time.

Bob

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Great job. I have the same censored treadmill attire!! Funny.

Glad you got it done with us. Hopefully, we can do this again.

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Petraruns said...

love the censored photo! I do the same on my elliptical and it's not a sight for the uninitiated! good for you for getting it in.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Excellent! Go Maddy!

I wear "less than normal" when I do the elliptical machine in our garage (once in a blue moon).

While on the dreadmill at the gym (also once in a blue moon), I like how the exact same sensorship is shown on the mirrors in front of me, even though I am fully clothed! :)

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Great job on the treadmill!! I don't mind up to 2 hours as long as there's a good movie to watch. Love that CENSORED sign!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Great work Maddy... I too headed to the treadmill for my 8 on the 8th... and dreadfully racked up my first official DNF. :-(

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Database Diva said...

Nice finish time. I don't mind the treadmill either. I guess we are part hamster :D

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

Love the pic. That's too funny!

Excellent time. For some reason, I'm really s-l-o-w on my dreadmill.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Way to get the run in, Maddy. I used to be ok with the treadmill, but for some reason, it has become harder for me to do. I guess I need to find more to do (a good show or good podcasts) to keep my brain engaged. I only do treadmills when on travel in unfriendly areas or bad weather.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home