running

Sunday, March 02, 2008

I'm Back!

Guess who's back?

Back again.

Maddy's back!

Tell a friend.

(Inspired by some Eminem song)

February was a miserable month mileage-wise for me. The beginning of the month was busy and I was having a hard time finding (or making) the time to run.

The middle of the month brought me to San Diego for business and I was able to only run a little more than three miles while I was there.

And then the flu.

It was frustrating to have the desire but not the ability. The lack of miles was not due to a loss of mojo, but rather the chest congestion and coughing that kept me away.

This past week, I was able to get in six miles. My days are feeling busier and busier - I may need to revisit the early morning run to make sure I am able to get my runs in. I didn't sweat it too much last week because I wanted to be sure that I was healthy.

Today, I feel like it's as good as it's going to get and with some races ahead, including the Winter Park Road Race in less than a month I was feeling like I needed to get back to it.

My run, on the treadmill (David will scold me for staying inside on such a beautiful day)started with some doubt. It had been a while since I had run long. Had I lost any fitness? How far would I be able to go without feeling like I was going to die?

I went into the run with a goal in mind, but I was leaving it open to see how I felt. I ended up reaching the goal I set for myself. I ran ten miles in 1:28:29. I was feeling it when I was done. After logging my run on breakingthetape.com and checking out some of my Nike+ challenges, my quads were really feeling those ten miles.

I took some sage advice I received last year from David and I stood in the cold pool for about five minutes and followed with a cool(er) shower.

I'm excited to feel healthy and for being able to complete those ten miles today. I am looking forward to the rest of the year and all of the races I have planned. Now the plan includes staying healthy and continuing the quest to faster race times!

8 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Go Maddy! You did it! Wish I could.

My first car was named Bessy. Then #2 was J.B. My current car does not have a name, though... hmm....

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Great to hear from you! Sounds like you didn't lose much fitness although perhaps your legs weren't used to running as much because of the layoff. Glad you're over that flu business!!

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

Nice work.. and 10 miles coming back. Thats strong!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Bev said...

Glad you're back. I was wondering about you. 10 miles is awesome.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Ben G said...

I work at a pharmacy and it sounds like you were yet another victim of the flu pandemic. Good to see you are feeling better-take it slow coming back

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

Don't call it a comeback
You've been here for years...

(inspired by LL Cool J)

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Petraruns said...

Girl - you had it in you the entire time. Take it easy but stay strong - you've got a long way to run this year!

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Marcy said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Ohhh I hear you in Feb being a dismal month in terms of mileage. I think the past 3 months have been dismal for me LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home