running

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Last Minute 5K = New PR

I got an email from Alta Vista earlier this week about their upcoming events. I was surprised to see a 5K scheduled for this morning right across the lake from me in Leesburg.

I thought about it for a while and decided to register for the Spring Fling 5K



I decided that I would go just see how I would do. I didn't want to jinx myself by putting it out there, so I just kept the race to myself. The only person who knew I was running this morning was my awesome husband.

Last night we had quite a storm and a tornado watch that lasted until 2:00 AM. I was concerned about any lingering rain that my effect the race this morning. Other than strong wind that blew right through us, the weather was fine. temps were in the low 60's.

The out and back course went through the Palmora Park neighborhood. I would guess that most of the homes were built in the 40's or 50's all the houses were well maintained and the homes on the lake were amazing. Quite honestly, they don't build them like that anymore.

I felt pretty strong the entire race and worked to keep my pace strong and steady. Of course, I started out too fast and slowed a little bit. The second mile was my slowest of the day, but I picked up the pace for the last 1.1 and beat my PR by 14 seconds.

My new PR: 27:12

I was surprised by the number of senior citizen runners. I met a very nice lady who has run in every Disney Marathon since the inception. I would guess she was in her 60's and she totally smoked me. She told me that her best time ever was about 10 years ago and it was 19 minutes. Wow! That's fast!

I stuck around for the door prize drawing a I won free lunch at The Way Cafe in Leesburg. Apparently, they have the best clam chowder this side of Hyannis Port. I'll have to post a review when I go.

I'm excited about my new PR. It's been a while since I have had a new PR and I was beginning to think that my fastest running was behind me. The race today proved (to me) that I still have it in me to push myself. Bit by bit.

15 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Petraruns said...

So well done girlfriend! Sometimes taking the pressure off really helps. And what do you mean the PRs are behind you - the best is yet to come hon! Just wait till October? YOu're going to smoke your marathon PR!

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Road Warrior said...

This is awesome, Maddy. 27 minutes is a great time and there's nothing like being home within 30 minutes of finishing the race. Great job!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Neese said...

Hey there, I found your blog through Facebook/Blog Friends. Congrats on the PR that's great! :)

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Congrats Maddy -- you speed queen!

I agree with Petra -- sometimes keeping it low key is a good thing! Hard to do with a blog -- (and a big mouth, if you are me) but you managed it!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Bev said...

Awesome Maddy! That is a speedy time. Sounds like you had a great start to the day.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

Congrats on the PR! Very nice time. Last minute is best :)

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger David said...

No pressure. No anxiety prepping. Bingo. PR! Always that way. Try and remember next time too.

Let's go to the Cuban place for breakfast after the WPRR. Then it'll be an official RBF Meet-up.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Marcy said...

WHOOOO HOOOOOO CONGRATS chica!! ;D ;D You so rocked! Yeah you totally have to be wary of those seniors. I've had many smoke me before LOL

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

Maddy, wow, that's smokin fast. Way to go. You will have to slow it down to run with me...lol.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Ben G said...

Congrats!!!! A new PR is always something to enjoy!!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

WOW.... WHAT A PR!!!!!!! Congratulations. And I am pretty much like you. There are things that I just do and don't tell anybody....

Congratulations again. Excellent 27 number!!!

 
At 3:52 AM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

CONGRATS MADDY!!! And how nice to have a race nearby and win another doorprize!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Runner Leana said...

Congrats on that PR - smoking fast!

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger P.O.M. said...

Yippy yippy yeah yeah! Congrats.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

Way to go on the PR! You totally rocked that race :-)

Maybe a 10K PR in a few weeks....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home