running

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Fish Out of Water

Last weekend I made a mistake. My groin strain was feeling better. I was giddy with excitement on Saturday and I ran six miles. I was still feeling pretty good after my run, but there was some discomfort.

Saturday night we went to a small car show. We walked around a little bit, but not a lot. I was feeling pretty good. Sunday I started into my planned 12 mile run. After 8.90 miles I thought it was probably a good idea to call it quits. The pain was back.

I really wish I would have held back.

The new plan is to back waaaaaaaaaaay off. So, no running until there is no pain. I really want to be running, but I really want to run the Chicago Marathon. The way to get to the starting line is to get healthy.



I feel like I am prepared for Chicago. And I am confident that as long as I am healthy on October 12th, it's going to be a great race. The past few days, knowing that I can't run right now has made me very antsy. I need to cross-train to maintain my fitness. I have been feeling like a fish out of water.

So what's a fish to do? Get in the pool. Swimming with the pull buoy is the best option for me right now. The last two days have brought some questionable swimming weather. But today, I went for a swim. I was fighting darkness. I don't like to swim at night. I swam for a glorious 20 minutes. It feels so good to be active and when I am out of commission, I feel out of sorts.

I have been taking great care to be sure I am healing. I have been icing it several times a day, and taking ibuprofen as needed. I am resting. I am also going crazy.

In 24 days, I will be here:



And it's going to be AWESOME!

19 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger David said...

Well I am going to have to watch that video about 26 times in the next few weeks. I will know if I am ready by Sunday afternoon. 26 miles in the 80 degree heat.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Maddy, if you have access to a bike or exercise bike, try cycling too. As long as the seat is not set too high, cycling should not aggravate an injured groin.

A lot can change in a couple weeks if you give yourself a chance to recover. Let pain be your guide. If there is any doubt, do LESS.

Sending healing vibes to you!!

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good training I'm sure the rece will be great. do take care and I look forward to your race report in a few weeks.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Marcy said...

First Happy B-day! I know I was early before LOL

Second, take care of yourself. I agree with Shirley, when I had the ole groin strain the bike was good. Rest up baby!

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Oh Maddy! You're so smart! You're doing JUST the right thing, in my opinion. This way, you'll probably be more prepared for Chicago than ever! I completely agree about doing whatever it takes to get to the starting line healthy. Go girl! Gosh I wish I could be there! I can't wait to track you!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You're doing the right thing by taking care of that injury. You're fairly close to your taper now anyway, no? I'm sure you'll be ready!!

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger runner-grrl said...

Happy Birthday! Keep the positive attitude, you'll do great in Chicago! (aka "run350")

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Petraruns said...

Ok I'm going to watch that video a lot. A lot! But first honey - you're doing the right by resting up. You've done your training now and now it's just important you get to the starting line - with me! - healthy!

Oh and happy happy birthday sweetie - will give you a birthday hug when I see you in just over 3 weeks!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Road Warrior said...

You're being so smart about this, Maddy. You worked too long to push yourself too hard to ruin Chicago.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Lesley Looper said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch, I can relate to the groin strain thing. Sound like you're doing a great job of keeping your fitness level up while you heal. Good luck in Chicago!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger akshaye said...

Take it easy.. Completely backing off is your best strategy. You've already got in your long runs so at this point there is no use pushing it. I hope you feel great soon - good luck!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger CewTwo said...

Wow! What a video! I am going to be watching it a lot, too!

Take care, Maddy! Take care!

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Jade Lady said...

Way to play it smart. I hope you heal up fast!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Marathon Maritza said...

Don't doubt all the hard work you've put into this so far, and you are right...if you are healthy, you will do great. So focus on feeling better! I know that's easier said than done, but cross-training is an excellent plan.

Hang in there, you are doing awesome!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Kitzzy said...

Where do you swim?

Good luck in the Marathon and have fun in Chicago.

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Kelownagurl said...

Cutting back is the hardest thing to do. Good on ya for learning from your mistakes. Swimming in a pool, in the dark?

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

Thanks for posting the vid Maddy. Take it easy and rest. Some cross training is probably the way to go. We want you to be healthy in Chicago!

Hugs,
Melisa

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Bev said...

The swimming should be just what you need. Listen to your body and in 26 days you will have a wonderful time.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger lizzie lee said...

Maddy, yes indeed. It is going to be awesome.. I'll be cheering you from the distance.

sincere-lee
lizzie lee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home