running

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Instant PR

I have a new PR! Today was the first 12k race I've ever run. Now I have someting to improve upon.

Today's race was an afternoon race. I've never run a race that wasn't first thing in the morning. These races always provide me with a certain amount of satisfaction. Knowing that I've accomplished something before most people are even awake.

There are some aspects of racing in the afternoon that I truly enjoyed.

  • Coffee when I woke up

  • I usually forgo the coffee until after the race

  • No need to set the alarm

  • I really don't mind getting up early - during the week it's usually 4:30 AM or 4:45 AM anyway - but if I can sleep until 8:00 AM - that's a nice treat!

  • My family came along

  • I don't see any reason to roll the kids or my husband out of bed during the wee hours so they can stand around while I'm running. By the afternoon, we'd all be sorry.

    There were some aspects that would take some getting used to.

  • Eating breakfast

  • During the week, breakfast is a given. During the weekend, things are different. After Darrell and I sat on the porch with our coffee, I started some laundry, loaded the dishwasher and a few other mundane Saturday morning tasks. It occured to me that I needed to eat. Something. I grabbed a Clif Bar and continued with my tasks.

  • Eating lunch

  • The morning got away from me. I needed to get some fuel, but we needed to get on the road. I ended up with instant pasta - Think similar to Easy Mac - It was okay, but I should have found something better.

  • It's hot at 3:00 PM


  • The weather has been absolutely beautiful, and while it wasn't as warm as the OUC Half Marathon, it could have stood to be a few degrees cooler at race time!


    We got downtown around 1:30 PM or so. We had to make a trip to PetSmart to get a collar that actaully fit our Boxer Dog - Darrell decided to bring him along today too. We meandered around the lake, checked out some of the wares being sold, the kids had a chance to play on the new playground that is less than a month old.

    The kids also had a chance to try out the Rock Climbing Wall that the folks at Aigulle Rock Climbing Center brought for the festivities. They had a blast. My daughter is asking when we can do it again!

    I had an opportunity to meet up with David at 2:30 PM. We talked some as we moved toward the starting line and he met someone he was going to pace and I moved up a little closer to the starting line. As it turns out, I had met David several years ago. What a small world.

    My plan was today was to go at a comfortable pace - not kill myself or my hip. At the first mile my time was 8:48. I slowed a little. I wasn't feeling any pain in my hip but my back started to stiffen. It loosened up after the third or fourth mile.


    Waving to my kids at the finish line - check out that skort!

    I felt like I picked up speed after that. Not compared to my first mile, but after that, it seemed that I was moving better.

    The course had a lot of brick streets which can be challenging just by their nature. I watched where I was going and made it through.

    The course took me through familiar areas. We actually ran past a house I used to live in. Some areas I hadn't been through in a long time. There have been old houses torn down and new houses built in their places.

    It was just a gorgeous day and I have not complaints.

    The new shoes were feeling fine, the hip stayed relativly quiet and I ran 7.45 miles.

    My time: 1:12:58

    By the way, the kids both participated in the kids race - the Joey Run. They both had a good time. I might have runners on my hands yet!

    Labels: , ,

    5 Comments:

    At 8:33 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

    Maddy,
    What great memories you made! It's SO much better when you run a race and have fun, isn't it?
    Congrats!!!

    Kevin

     
    At 9:29 AM, Blogger Susan said...

    Excellent report! Thank you! And I noticed the skort before I even read your line about it. Looks great! Now I want one for myself!

    I, also, have never run an afternoon race. What a concept!

    Way to go, Maddy!

     
    At 1:54 PM, Blogger akshaye said...

    Great race! Nice time too... You make the afternoon race sound so appealing!

     
    At 6:31 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

    Great race report! I forgot this was an afternoon race...but it was pretty warm yesterday. Great time! Sounds like you and the family had a great time! :-)

    I am glad the hip and the new shoes did well!

     
    At 8:28 PM, Blogger David said...

    Outstanding to hear you had such a good day.It was a pleasure to met you and the family. Keep on truckin' and good luck next week in Sarasota.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home