running

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Inspiration for More

A few weeks ago at the Outback Distance Classic 12k, I had a conversation with David about the progression a runner takes with regard to races.

He told me when he started running he thought he would just run 5ks. Then a 10k started looking pretty good. Then a half marathon and the next thing you know it he's running the full 26.2.

I have returned to this converstation in my mind several times over the past few weeks. It has really gotten me thinking...

There are several things that I really like about about 13.1

  • I'm already ready already. I can run a half marathon on a moments notice

  • I recover quickly. I can run 13.1 and continue on with the rest of my day, like any other.

  • I can start running again after one day off.


  • That being said, the full distance has been on my mind.

    When I run, I keep the display on the treadmill covered until the last mile. It's just a ritual that in theory keeps my mind off of the number of miles left to run. I check my distance every half mile (or less) - but it removes some sort of mental block of the numbers.

    For the past several weeks I have had the display covered with the February edition of Runner's World. You probably think that I have gotten through those miles by looking at David Siik's abs. I must admit to spending a few 3 mile runs enjoying the view, I have spent most of my time with Tim Twietmeyer staring back at me, daring me to run another mile or two.


    Tim Twietmeyer has run the 100 mile Western States Endurance Run 25 times, in less than 24 hours each time. That's what Kevin would definately call a stud!

    So is there 26.2 in my future? We will see...

    5 Comments:

    At 11:05 AM, Blogger Susan said...

    I'd agree with the thoughts on 13.1 -- much more life-friendly! Ha.

     
    At 9:28 PM, Blogger David said...

    Halfs are manageable. Fulls are a lot of work and require tenacious training. And then there is no guarantee you'll be happy with the result.
    That's why a full is so damn maddeningly necessary. You have to know. Can you do it? Then - can you do it better?

     
    At 10:53 PM, Blogger Irish Blue said...

    I agree with David. It's the lure of the challenge. Of course, I can say that, I haven't even run a half yet. ;-)

     
    At 9:45 PM, Blogger Susan said...

    I am also, most definitely, a morning runner. And a MORNING PERSON! But - I am trying to fill my evenings a bit more, and the weather is perfect right now.

     
    At 5:04 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

    I am with David...you are going to want to know if you can do it, even once. The training IS harder and more time consuming - but I think there is definitely a leap from 13.1 to 26.2 - and good one in my mind that has me going back for more (I am in the "can I do better" stage).

    There is always Disney...if you haven't already signed up for the half...

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home