running

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Winter Park Road Race = New 10k PR!

What a beautiful morning for a run!

This morning I woke up at 4:45 AM. I took my time getting ready and headed out the door just after 5:30 AM.

The plan was to meet my friend Kelly at the Winter Park Village and ride together to Park Avenue.

Me, Colleen and Kelly - Halloween 2006

We were really glad we did, or we might not have found each other. The race was filled to capacity and there were a ton of people there.

I parked further away than I thought from where we were supposed to meet Marathon Chris and her beautiful exuberant daughter. We were a few minutes late and I was concerned because "Phedippediation Girl" was racing in ten minutes. I was hoping that I hadn't missed the window to meet up.

They were waiting and it was so great to meet them. Chris is just a great person - like there was any doubt - and her daughter is equally as passionate about running and technology.

We headed to the start and along the way - BONUS! I got to meet Shirley too. Shirley was really nice. I am adding her blog to my sidebar.

After the 2 mile race started we parted ways with Chris for a bit. Kelly said to me "Dang! I wish I had been that motivated when I was 12!"

I agreed and thought that special shouts need to go out to Chris for instilling the passion and providing to tools and guidance to help the passion grow!

Kelly and I lined up and watched a firefighter don the entire fire suit -sans tanks - for the run. Man, that had to be hot, although probably cooler than a fire???

On our way back to the car, Kelly and I talked about the fireman - it's the second time we've witnessed this phenomenon. The first time was at the Watermelon 5k on July 4th. It was a hot day and those peeps had tanks too! We debated if it was some sort of training procedure, if the firemen do it to say they did it or if they got some sort of merit badge for the effort. Does anyone have any insight?

The race started and we were off. As soon as we crossed the finish line. Chris, Kelly and I seperated. We all have a different pace.

I loved the course. It started the same way that the Team in Training Saturday morning runs went seven years ago (Maybe they still follow the same route?). It had been so long since I had been that way. I spent the first two miles remembering running there, so long ago. Mom of one - a three year old still sleeping at home. Fast forward and I now have two and that three year old little boy is 10 1/2 and almost as tall as me. It's amazing how time marches on and just how long (with some long breaks in there) I have been at this.

During the first mile I saw a guy about 25 feet in front of me take an elbow in the face. He almost fell. I'm still not sure how it happened. It was weird.

There were a lot of supporters along the course - cheering us on from their driveways and front yards. The course wound it's way through some exclusive neighborhoods that have just beautiful homes, however the brick roads required attention so I didn't really enjoy the view.

My final net time: 58:07. w00t!

Kelly and I were headed to the food and we saw Chris burning up the bricks on Park Avenue. We stopped to cheer for her, she was so close to the finish line! Unfortunately we did not see her again.

We will need to align on another race.

5 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Maddy,
Congrats you stud! What perfect memories you made today!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger ShirleyPerly said...

Great meeting you and Kelly today, and congrats on a well run race!

I'm not sure why firemen do it but have seen several military guys wearing BDUs and rucksacks during full marathons (Boston & Marine Corops) to honor others who have fallen. It's always very inspiring for me to see them and any minor hardships I might be having are soon forgotten.

Hope to see you at another race soon.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Very cool! What a day! Congrats on the PR!!!!

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger MarathonChris said...

It was great seeing you and Kelly at the race! We will definitely hook up again :-)

Great race for you. Someday maybe I can break the 1 hour barrier for the 10K.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger David said...

Good time ... on the watch and on the roads. Wish I had been there. It was a record high temp for Atlanta today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home